American Library Association Recruitment Assembly
- To facilitate communication about activities related to recruiting for the profession among ALA units and other groups.
- To foster coordination and cooperation of recruitment efforts among ALA units and other groups.
- To avoid unnecessary duplication and enhance individual and collective recruitment efforts.
- To develop a multi-year systematic national recruitment plan.
- To expand the recruitment of a diverse workforce.
- To make recommendations for recruitment policies, programs, publications, or other activities to appropriate bodies.
- To communicate with other national library/information organizations with an interest in recruitment.
- To report to and advise the HRDR Advisory Committee and office on issues and activities related to recruitment.
ALA Office for Human Resource Development and Recruitment (HRDR)
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
800/545-2433 ext. 4278
Resources for Recruiters and Career Centers
Visit LibraryCareers.Org for general information on library careers.
- If you are a recruiter, counselor, library worker or other professional looking for library career resources--especially for career fairs, visit the Recruitment Assembly's Wiki.
- Midwinter 2008 - Philadelphia, PA
- Meeting Scheduled for Monday, 8-10am
- Annual 2007 - Washington, DC
- Midwinter 2007 - Seattle, WA
- Annual 2006 - New Orleans
- Poster Session
- V - 16 Reaching Out: Strategies and Resources for Library Career Recruitment; presented by Julie Brewer, University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Megan Kinney, Oberlin College Main Library, Oberlin, OH (email@example.com)
Recruitment is a continuing and vital interest for the future of the library profession. All library institutions, associations, and individuals should be prepared to reach out to the next generation of library workers. The goal of the ALA Recruitment Assembly in presenting this poster session is to energize new recruitment initiatives and introduce the latest library career recruitment resources. This poster session will demonstrate the content and uses of the new library career recruitment website LibraryCareers.org. The website features the breadth of career choices and specializations in all types of libraries, as well as practical information about how to pursue appropriate education and look for a job. A wireless internet laptop connection will support interactive demonstrations. The poster session will also highlight a variety of recruitment initiatives hosted by individual institutions and professional organizations. Sample initiatives range from job shadowing, career fairs, panel programs, and IMLS grants. Attendees will be able to review sample program descriptions and promotional materials that may be adopted for use in other locales. These recruitment initiatives and many more are accessible via the new online ALA Recruitment Clearinghouse, which will also be demonstrated on the wireless internet laptop connection.
- Midwinter 2006 - San Antonio
- ALA Recruitment Assembly Forum Kicks Off Midwinter 2005 for Many!
Article by Cheryl Bryan, Southeastern Massachusetts Library System and Chair of the ALA Recruitment Assembly
- Annual Conference 2004