ALA Public Policy and Advocacy
Funding, broadband equity, and fair use of copyrighted material is more important than ever as libraries continue to serve their communities amid rapidly changing circumstances. Read an overview of some recent advocacy successes, including record levels of emergency funding and increased annual appropriations for federal library programs, thanks to the efforts from library advocates!
Here's a round-up of our funding-related activity:
Click to expand.
- Coalition letter to President Biden and Congressional leadership urging action to fund & support America's charitable nonprofits (February 14, 2021)
- Letter to Congressional leadership urging a close to the FY22 appropriations process (February 1, 2022)
- Comments to the Federal Highway Administration on Development of Guidance for Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Deployment (January 18, 2022)
- Coalition letter to Appropriations Committees urging an increase in CDBG Block funding (August 2, 2021)
- Coalition Letter calling for $350 billion in state and local funding in a Covid relief package (February 12, 2021)
- Facts about Earmarks: ALA Resource for libraries (May 25, 2021)
- AFSCME Coalition Letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer calling for $1 trillion in aid to state, local, and tribal governments (January 13, 2021)
- Coalition Letter to Biden Transition Team regarding CDBG Block funding (December 1, 2020)
- Coalition Letter to Congressional Appropriations leadership regarding CDBG Block Funding (November 25, 2020)
- Coalition letter to Congressional leaders regarding COVID-19 relief for nonprofit organizations (July 13, 2020)
- Senator Reed Floor Statement on introduction of Library Stabilization Fund Act (July 2, 2020)
- House Library Stabilization Fund Act - H.R. 7486 (July 2, 2020)
- Senate Library Stabilization Fund Act - S. 4181 (July 2, 2020)
- ALA Summary of Library Stabilization Fund Act (July 1, 2020)
- Letter to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions regarding pandemic preparedness (June 25, 2020)
- Coalition Letter to the House and Senate Appropriations Committees regarding the allocation for the Legislative Branch Subcommittee (June 22, 2020)
- 2-Pager for libraries: Libraries Respond to COVID-19 (June 1, 2020)
- Coalition Letter to Congressional Leadership advocating for economic relief funding for cities, towns, and villages (May 20, 2020)
- Coalition Letters to the House and Senate supporting literacy funding for Literacy for All, Results for the Nation (LEARN) program (May 15, 2020)
- Letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi recommending additional funding for libraries in stimulus packages (May 13, 2020)
- Coalition Letter to Congressional Leadership led by ALA calling for emergency stabilization funding for libraries (May 11, 2020)
- Coalition Letter to Congress supporting emergency funding to support professional development for educators during the COVID-19 pandemic (May 8, 2020)
- Dear Colleague Letter led by Senators Jack Reed (D-RI) and Susan Collins (R-ME) calling for emergency library funding in COVID-19 round 4 legislation (May 1, 2020)
- Dear Colleague Letter led by Representatives Andy Levin (D-MI), Don Young (R-AK), and Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) calling for emergency library funding in COVID-19 round 4 legislation (April 23, 2020)
- Coalition Letter to House leadership supporting legislation for emergency E-rate funding expansion (April 22, 2020)
- Coalition Letter to Congressional Leadership advocating for public service loan forgiveness to be part of COVID-19 relief (April 16, 2020)
- Coalition Letter to Labor HHS Subcommittees calling for increased education funding (April 16, 2020)
- Letter to Department of Education urging libraries be part of their CARES Act funding (April 4, 2020)
- Joint letter to World Intellectual Property Organization on the importance of IP in finding solutions to the COVID-19 crisis (April 3, 2020)
- Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES) Act Phase 3 Package - Libraries, Education, and Cultural Heritage
- American Libraries: "Federal Relief Package Supports Libraries" (March 27, 2020)
- Statement from the ALA Executive Board recommending libraries leave WiFi open during closures (March 23, 2020)
- Testimony to House Labor HHS Subcommittee regarding library funding (March 23, 2020)
- Dear Colleague Letter led by Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) calling for emergency library funding in response to COVID-19 (March 20, 2020)
- Dear Colleague Letter led by Representative Andy Levin (D-MI) calling for emergency library funding in response to COVID-19 (March 20, 2020)
- Letter to FCC requesting clarification and rule waivers to allow libraries to increase public broadband access (March 19, 2020)
- Letter urging Congress to support funding through Title IV-A of Every Student Succeeds Act (March 18, 2020)
- Letter from National Council of Nonprofits urging stimulus to help the nonprofit sector (March 18, 2020)
- Letter to FCC urging quick action as COVID-19 Threatens Healthcare, Education (March 17, 2020)
- Response to cancellation of Macmillan embargo (March 17, 2020)
- Public Statement written by ALA and Copyright Librarians acknowledging the strength of Fair Use for Emergency Remote Teaching and Research (March 13, 2020)
- Letter to FCC urging quick action to ensure home internet equity in light of COVID-19 (March 12, 2020)
For Library Advocates
Find best practices for working with traditional or social media.
Contact your local and state leaders and your members of Congress.
Browse local, state, and national policy information.
Join ALA’s work to positively impact libraries.
Explore how ALA can help with your advocacy efforts.
Sign up for the latest alerts and updates.