The task force will publish and refine a BIBFRAME ontology extension for the description of special collections materials. The work will build upon the Art and Rare Materials BIBFRAME Ontology Extension established as part of the first phase of the Linked Data for Production (LD4P) project, 2016-2018.
RBMS-ARLIS/NA-SAA Joint Task Force on Development of the Art and Rare Materials BIBFRAME Ontology Extension List
Official members of this section committee are automatically added to the committee’s Connect space and subscribed to the email list.
You can post to the list by sending an email to ALA-ACRL-RBMS-BIBFRAMETF@ConnectedCommunity.org or by creating a new post directly in the Connect community.
The committee composition is determined by section leadership.
The task force will be charged with a term of two years to complete initial project goals.
- Date interim report is due: ALA Midwinter Meeting 2020
- Date final report is due: ALA Midwinter Meeting 2021
- Review initial modeling of the Art and Rare Materials BIBFRAME Ontology Extension (ARM), and build upon areas for future work identified by the LD4P project. Identify use cases not yet covered by ARM, especially those that may be required for discovery of archival material. Extend and refine the ontology as appropriate.
- Publish an initial version of the ARM ontology extension, potentially in coordination with the Library of Congress Linked Data Service.
- Identify long-term strategies and structures for the administration of ARM.
- Work with the Library of Congress to further define the relationship between the core ontology (BIBFRAME) and the ARM extension.
- Work with the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) to incorporate ARM into PCC application profiles for the description of special collections materials.
The ACRL Board of Directors approved the ACRL/RBMS-ARLIS/NA-SAA Joint Task Force on Development of the Art and Rare Materials BIBFRAME Ontology Extension at its 2018 Fall Board Meeting.
Volunteers will need to complete the volunteer form by February 15 for committee service that begins July 1. More information, including volunteer requirements, can be found on the ACRL volunteer site.
Senior Program Officer
Association of College & Research Libraries
American Library Association