To serve as a resource for RBMS members and other librarians, archivists, dealers, and collectors concerned with the safekeeping of books, manuscripts, archives, and other special collections materials. Its duties are:
1. To provide information and education on theft and security topics for the section and profession.
2. To develop and revise guidelines as appropriate.
3. To maintain a list of current thefts and security incidents, and their resolutions where applicable.
4. To serve as a liaison between RBMS and other professional groups with respect to security concerns, including:
o Units within ALA (e.g., LLAMA);
o Professional trade organizations (e.g., ABAA);
o Other professional organizations (e.g., SAA).
5. To undertake other duties and functions regarding security of special collections materials as directed by the RBMS Executive Committee.
Comment: The charge was revised, submitted to, and approved by the RBMS Executive Committee on April 7, 2022.
Coordination: RBMS section chair; chairs of other appropriate committees; ACRL Headquarters.
Experience recommends: Knowledge of ACRL is useful, as is knowledge of collections management, user services, security best practices, and an understanding of how special collections workers and patrons may be impacted by security measures.
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2021. Last retrieved on 12/06/2022. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
RBMS Security Committee List
Official members of this section committee are automatically added to the committee’s Connect space and subscribed to the email list.
You can post to the list by sending an email to ALA-ACRL-RBMS-Security@ConnectedCommunity.org or by creating a new post directly in the Connect community.
The committee composition is determined by section leadership.