To oversee and coordinate ACRL’s Core Commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as described in the strategic plan. Work with the Board and other units to initiate, advise and mobilize support for appropriate action related to issues of diversity, equity and inclusion in academic librarianship—including recruitment, advancement and retention of underrepresented groups to academic and research librarianship and the promotion of library and information services for diverse library users.
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2023. Last retrieved on 03/31/2023. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
- ACRL Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Webpage
- ACRL Equity, Diversity and Inclusion LibGuide
- ACRL Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee ALA Connect Group
- Diversity Standards: Cultural Competency for Academic Libraries (2012)
- ACRL's 2012 Diversity Standards for Academic Libraries video (link to YouTube)
- A minimum of six members to include: a vice-chair who serves a one-year term as Chair, a one-year term as Vice-Chair and a one-year term as Past-Chair, and three members.
- Additional appointments at the discretion of the Vice-President/President-Elect and Appointments Committee as needed to complete committee responsibilities.
- Since it is important that the vice-chair/chair be knowledgeable about the responsibilities and concerns of the committee, it is suggested that the committee vice-chair/chair be selected from the existing committee membership.
ALA Annual Conference 2021
- On Demand Event: How We Are Marching: EDI Efforts Across ACRL
ACRL Presents (past recordings)
The Diversity Committee (original committee name: Racial and Ethnic Diversity Committee) was created by the ACRL Board of Directors at its 1990 Fall Executive Committee Meeting. During its January 28, 2019 meeting, the Board approved changing the name of the committee from the Diversity Committee to the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee. On April 25, 2019, the ACRL Board approved a new committee charge to align the work of the committee with the ACRL Plan for Excellence's Core Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Volunteers will need to complete the volunteer form by February 15 for committee service that begins July 1. More information, including volunteer requirements, can be found on the ACRL volunteer site.
Program Manager for Strategic Initiatives
Association of College and Research Libraries
American Library Association
225 N. Michigan Ave., Ste 1300
Chicago, IL 60601-7616
Phone: (312) 280-2519