To provide support and guidance to the ACRL Board regarding the professional principles and values of academic and research librarians; to engage ACRL members in sustaining and enhancing efforts to promote the ethics, intellectual freedom, and other principles and values; to develop informational and training materials that educate librarians and the public about the nature of and issues involved in ethics and intellectual freedom; to develop standards, policies, and policy statements for ACRL and contribute to revisions of the ALA Code of Ethics, the Library Bill of Rights, and the Intellectual Freedom Manual; to work with the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom, the ALA Intellectual Freedom Committee, and the ALA Committee on Professional Ethics to coordinate and advance ethics and intellectual freedom issues of interest to academic librarians and libraries; and to collaborate with the liaisons to the ALA Professional Ethics and Intellectual Freedom Committees who also serve as members of the Committee.
Displaying active committee roster as of 12/02/2022. Last retrieved on 12/02/2022. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
- A minimum of five members (i.e. a chair, vice-chair, and three members)
- Two representative positions. Representatives will not concurrently serve in the chair or vice-chair positions.
- 1 representative to the ALA Intellectual Freedom Committee will serve as committee members on the committee and is responsible for communication with the committee and among the associated ALA Committees and ACRL Board.
- 1 representative to the the ALA Committee on Professional Ethics (COPE) (formerly ALA Professional Ethics Committee) will serve as committee members on the committee and is responsible for communication with the committee and among the associated ALA Committees and ACRL Board.
- Since it is important that the vice-chair/chair be knowledgeable about the responsibilities and concerns of the committee, it is suggested that the committee vice-chair/chair be selected from the existing committee membership.
The Professional Values Committee was established by the ACRL Board of Directors in the spring of 2013.
Editor-in-Chief of College and Research Libraries News/Senior Communications Strategist
Association of College & Research Libraries
American Library Association
225 N. Michigan Ave., Ste 1300
Chicago, IL 60601-7616