Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2021. Last retrieved on 03/31/2023. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
- A minimum of five members (i.e. a chair, vice-chair, and three members)
- Ex-officio members will include the Chapters Council Library Legislation Network Coordinator (appointed by Chapters Council)
- Additional appointments at the discretion of the Vice-President/President-Elect and Appointments Committee
- Since it is important that the vice-chair/chair be knowledgeable about the responsibilities and concerns of the committee, it is suggested that the committee vice-chair/chair be selected from the existing committee membership.
- Recommend an ACRL legislative agenda to the Board before the Spring Executive Committee Meeting;
- Keep the ACRL Board up to date on the activities and discussions of the ALA Committee on Legislation;
- Monitor the Legislative Advocacy Plan and make suggestions for improvement as needed
The ACRL Board approved a revised charge for the Government Relations Committee in 1996. In 2005, the ACRL Board approved a revised charge that includes a revised statement on legislative agenda specifying the committee is "seeking formal input from the Scholarly Communications Committee, the Copyright Committee, and other committees and ACRL leaders as appropriate." The charge was also updated to say, "The Committee will monitor the Legislative Advocacy Plan and make suggestions for improvement as needed. In addition, the Committee will support the ACRL Government Relations Specialist to ensure success of that position Members of the GRC may be asked to write position papers expanding on Legislative Agenda items." In 2005, the Government Relations Committee was included as a component committee of the Advocacy Committee. In 2009, the charged was revised a second time to change the timing of the Legislative Agenda. It was also redefined as a stand-alone divisional committee when the coordinating committee was reclassified as a standard committee, with no coordinating committee umbrella structure.
Volunteers will need to complete the volunteer form by February 15 for committee service that begins July 1. More information, including volunteer requirements, can be found on the ACRL volunteer site.
Senior Strategist for Special Initiatives
Association of College & Research Libraries
American Library Association
225 N. Michigan Ave., Ste 1300
Chicago, IL 60601-7616