About the Fair
Each year, the ALA Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services invites library professionals from all kinds of institutions to submit proposals to participate in the ALA Diversity and Outreach Fair, which is held during ALA’s Annual Conferences. The Diversity and Outreach Fair is part of ALA Annual's various poster sessions.
The Fair highlights library services to underserved or underrepresented communities, including people with disabilities; people experiencing poverty and homelessness; people of color; English-language learners; gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people; new Americans, new and non-readers; older adults; people living in rural areas; incarcerated people and ex-offenders; and mobile library services and bookmobiles.
Selected presenters will develop and facilitate a poster session to be held during the ALA Annual Conference in the exhibits hall. In addition, the participants are encouraged to submit, in digital format, information, and resources from their program.
Presentation spaces will include a 4x8 raised bulletin board and a skirted 6' table. Presenters are responsible for their own handouts, printing, and materials needed to hang posters.
Please note: presenters are responsible for their own registration to ALA Annual Conference.
Questions can be directed at firstname.lastname@example.org
Before 2018, the Diversity and Outreach Fair had specific themes and was not part of ALA Annual's poster sessions. During these presentations, a group of jurors would choose one poster to win a grand prize. While we do not follow this model anymore, you can find information on past Diversity and Outreach Fair poster sessions below.
- Theme: Inclusive Outreach: Providing Services to the Underserved and Marginalized
- Theme: Libraries Transform: Outreach in Response to Civil Unrest
- 2016 Diversity & Outreach Fair presenters (pdf)
- 2016 Winners:
- Yolo County (CA) Library, "Families Together in Public Library: A Second Chance for Probationer Parents"
- REFORMA - The National Association to Promote Library Services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking
- Anaheim (CA) Public Library Bookmobile
- Theme: Library Services for People Experiencing Poverty and Homelessness
- 2015 Diversity & Outreach Fair presenters (pdf)
- 2015 Winners
- First Place: University of North Carolina Greensboro, “The Library as an Incubator of Anti-Discrimination and Multicultural Engagement”
Second Place: University of Tennessee-Knoxville School of Information Sciences and the Center for Literacy, Education, and Employment, “Public Libraries and LGBTQ Youth Experiencing Homelessness: An IMLS Project
Third Place: Brooklyn Public Library, “Growing Outreach: Serving People Where they Are”
- Theme: Family Literacy
- 2014 Diversity & Outreach Fair presenters (pdf)
- Theme: Removing Barriers to Service for All: Creating Meaningful and Integrated Library Experiences for People with Disabilities
- 2013 Diversity & Outreach Fair presenters (pdf)
- Theme: Building Community Connections
- 2012 Diversity & Outreach Fair presenters and abstracts (pdf)
- Theme: Family Literacy
- 2011 Diversity & Outreach Fair presenters - on OLOS Columns Blog
- Theme: 20th Anniversary of ADA
- 2010 Diversity & Outreach Fair presenters (pdf)
For additional information about the ALA Diversity and Outreach Fair, please contact the ALA Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services, 800-545-2433, ext. 2140, or email@example.com.