Students — Join and Rejoin ALA and your state library association (chapter) for one low price.
Fifty chapters allow students to join and rejoin one state library association (for example, the North Dakota Library Association) and ALA for one low price of $44, now through August 31, 2023. To apply for joint student membership online, please click on the join/renew button above to find your state association and complete the online form through ALA's secure database.If you have any comments or questions about the ALA joint student membership program, please contact the Chapters Relations Office.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Is Eligible?
Students enrolled in MLS/MLIS, CAEP, and LTA programs are eligible for ALA's discounted student membership dues and are encouraged to participate in ALA activities, including committee work, conferences, and programs. Get involved with your association and to learn from experienced librarians and to offer your own fresh perspectives and ideas. See AASL-CAEP School Librarianship Education Programs.
Types of ALA Student Memberships
- Student membership is limited to five total years.
- Joint student memberships is limited to five years.
Dear Joint Student Membership Program, What Are Four Important Quick Facts I Need to Know?
The four important quick facts I need to know about the joint membership program are:
- PLEASE NOTE: Joint ALA membership cannot be added to a current Chapter membership. ALA encourages students who joined their Chapter before knowing about the joint student membership program to join ALA as a joint ALA-Chapter member when their Chapter membership comes up for renewal.
- After joining ALA, current ALA students—within 90 days of joining ALA—may convert their memberships to joint student memberships. Contact ALA Members and Customer Service at 800-545-2433.
- You may join any one of the Chapters and ALA through the joint student membership program. You may join the chapter of your choice, most students choose the chapter where their school is located or their home state.
ALA Personal Data Notification
Personal Data Notification
The ALA (American Library Association and its units) and the ALA-APA (Allied Professional Association) (collectively “ALA”) use the personal data you provide to the ALA to process membership, inform you of products, services, conferences, education opportunities, events and for other purposes which are within the Association’s mission. To accomplish these actions, ALA contracts with third-parties who gather and process personal data to complete interactions such as online purchases, conference registration, and fulfillment. The personal data as provided is processed and stored as a legitimate Interest to the ALA in order to fulfill your requests for information and services from ALA.
Promotion for Student and State Chapters
Promotion To Prospective Members
- Students: ALA encourages you to save money and join online. Click here to find your state library association's website and learn about all the wonderful benefits you will receive by joining and participating in your association. Then become a joint student member by joining online above.
- Student Chapters Leaders and Faculty Advisors: Please contact the Chapter Relations Office for templates and other graphics. Brochures are also available upon request.
- State Chapters: Please contact the Chapter Relations Office for printable brochures and other graphics.