Once established, a Membership Initiative Group (MIG) may operate for three years. If after three years the MIG wishes to continue operating, it must re-petition for another three-year term by following these steps:
- Create an e-Petition. Once the e-Petition form is complete, a link will be provided that can be forwarded to ALA members for electronic signatures.
- Collect at least 100 electronic signatures from ALA members in good standing.
- Prepare the MIG's statement of purpose (it should already exist.)
- When 100 signatures have been collected and the statement of purpose is ready, contact the COO staff liaison, who will download the signatures, inform all relevant parties of the renewal petition, and add the petition to the next COO agenda at either the ALA Midwinter Meeting or the ALA Annual Conference.
- Send a representative to the COO meeting to present the petition for renewal. COO will vote on whether or not to approve renewal of the MIG.