The ALA Council Committee on Legislation (COL) is charged with the responsibility for the association’s legislative agenda. Specifically, to:
- Identify, for the Public Policy & Advocacy Office (formerly known as the Washington Office), the association’s strategic priorities.
- Recommend, annually, based on consultation with the Public Policy & Advocacy Office, a legislative and public policy agenda.
- Review and advise on, any policy statements and/or resolutions that have an impact on federal legislation, policy, or regulations.
- Provide a forum within ALA to share information and legislative analysis of current and impending federal laws and regulations to keep ALA units apprised of current issues affecting libraries.
- Be available to consult, collaborate and offer assistance to state and local library entities when federal legislation has implications at the state and local level.
Displaying active committee roster as of 07/01/2024. Last retrieved on 03/03/2024. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
Related Units, Groups, and Initiatives
The Public Policy & Advocacy Office provides staff support to the Committee on Legislation.
The Committee on Legislation coordinates with committees with related charges, including the Committee on Library Advocacy, Information Technology Policy Advisory Committee, and Intellectual Freedom Committee. The COL Chair appoints members to the Sustainability Committee and the IFC Privacy Committee.
The Committee on Legislation participated in appointing the Policy Corps Advisory Group.