March 16, 2022
April 21, 2022 by 11:59 pm Central Time (CT)
June 1, 2022
Before starting, read the grant FAQ and carefully review the requirements below in each category for the grant.
For questions, please contact the American Library Association (ALA) Chapter Relations Office staff at or firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-800-545-2433, ext. 2429
The ALA COVID Library Relief Fund will assist public, school, academic, tribal, and correctional libraries across the United States and US Territories that have experienced substantial economic hardship due the coronavirus pandemic, which has impacted their ability to serve their community, especially traditionally underserved populations.
The Fund has 1.55 million dollars and will provide grants of $20,000 to libraries/library systems/districts that have seen a substantial reduction in funding that has and will continue to impact their ability to provide essential services through December 31, 2022.
APPLICATIONS deadline is April 21, 2022 by 11:59 pm Central Time (CT)
Grants will be announced on June 1, 2022.
Grants are intended to help sustain library operations, including but not limited to staff salary (direct or indirect,) materials, technology, and in-person or virtual services. Grants are to re-stablish, sustain, amplify services, or create newly needed services, to underserved or populations in low to moderate income groups.
Library systems (municipal, county, district) and library school districts can submit only one application per system or district, however the application can request support for one or more library and/or one or more target audience across a system/district.
The selected library will be required to:
• Assign one staff member as the grant coordinator.
• Assist ALA in promotion of the award locally.
• Provide interim reports that show how the funds have supported expenses, on September 10, 2022 and November 10, 2022.
• Carry out evaluations and measure outcomes of the project.
• Submit in writing to ALA, any significant changes to the proposed plans that were outlined in the application.
• Submit a comprehensive final report to ALA with project accomplishments, evaluation findings, outcomes, and use of funds by January 20, 2023.
Eligible expenses may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Staff time (only salaries and benefits. Bonuses are not eligible)
- Furnishings and Equipment
- Materials and Supplies
- Operation Expenses
Expenses not connected to the proposed services outlined in the application.
ALA will accept applications between March 16, 2022 and April 21, 2022 (11:59 PM Central Time)
• Contact Information
• Specific library type demographics
• Budget and staffing questions
• Narrative questions
• Grant Budget descriptions
• Statement of Assurance
Library systems (municipal, county, district) and library school districts can submit only one application per system or district, but the application can request support for one or more library and /or one or more target audience across your system/district.
You may save and return and edit your application using the ‘Save and Close’ Button’ up until you hit the ‘Submit’ button. Once you have submitted your application, you can no longer alter it. The application will then be submitted for committee review. You will receive an email confirming submission of your application.
Make sure you complete all parts of the application, including providing the two required attachments. All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on April 21, 2022. Applications submitted after that time will be considered ineligible.
The Statement of Assurance is required for your application. Three names and signatures are required.
- The Authorized Representative is whoever has the authority to sign contracts for the applicant library/institution, such as the Library Director, Dean or District Coordinator.
- The Grant Coordinator is responsible for managing the grant on behalf of the library and corresponding with ALA. If same as Authorized representative must sign assurance twice.
- The Fiduciary/Fiscal Agent Representative must be a separate person from the Authorized Representative. Someone who has authority/responsibility over providing funding/oversight of funding of the library -City Manager, County CFO, School Business Manager, College CFO, Tribal CFO, Library District Finance Officer/Treasurer.]
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The budget cuts and impact on library to provide services to the community.
- Identification of target audience(s) and their needs.
- Proposed use of grant funds to serve target audiences.
- Expected outcomes and impacts and measurements.
- Budget and alignment of requested items/elements to proposed activities.
Proposals will be assessed, and awardees selected by the ALA Covid Library Relief Committee. The Committee consists of two co-chairs and seven other members representing all the library types eligible for funding.
Application deadline: April 21, 2022 11:59 pm (Central Time)
Award notification: June 1, 2022
Award distributed: June 10, 2022
Earliest Project Start Date: June 1, 2022
Project End Date: December 31, 2022
Final Report Due: January 20, 2023
Application Template by Library Type (Questions for each library type. Actual application must be filled out online)
If you have questions about the application, contact:
Chapter Relations Office
American Library Association
1-800-545-2433, ext. 2429
Return to ALA COVID Library Relief Fund homepage