AASL adopted its current Strategic Plan in June 2019 during the 2019 ALA Annual Conference.
Goal: AASL builds capacity for leadership at all levels.
- Refine existing participation models.
- Increase alternative participation models.
- Increase opportunities for state and local leaders to enhance their leadership capacity.
- Cultivate AASL leadership involvement throughout ALA.
Goal: AASL influences local, state, and national policy to ensure that school libraries are well-funded and fully staffed with full-time, certified school librarians and dedicated support personnel.
- Increase ALA’s understanding of and action on education policy issues that impact school librarians.
- Influence funding entities to include school libraries and school librarians as leaders in transformative teaching and learning.
- Enhance member understanding of how education policy issues impact practice.
- Enhance administrator understanding of school libraries within local, state, and national education policy.
Goal: AASL advances research that informs school librarian practice.
- Facilitate evidence-informed school librarian practices.
- Increase visibility of research related to school librarians.
- Communicate research findings to practitioners and other leaders.