Sponsored by Scholastic Book Fairs
Monetary Amount: $2,500
Deadline: February 1
The Collaborative School Library Award recognizes and encourages collaboration and partnerships between school librarians and educators in meeting goals outlined in AASL’s National School Library Standards for Learners, School Librarians, and School Libraries through joint planning of a program, unit or event in support of the curriculum and using school library resources.
The applicants will be a school librarian and educators who have collaborated on a project to further the competencies in the Learner Framework in the National School Library Standards for Learners, School Librarians, and School Libraries.
The applicant shall be a current AASL personal member.
The following criteria will be used in the selection process:
- To what degree did a collaborative effort occur, over a specific period of time between the school librarian and other educators, to execute the project, event or program? Are there specific examples of the collaborative process? (This should include both planning and implementation.)
- How were the school library resources used to execute the project, event, or program?
- To what degree did the project, event or program align with the AASL National School Library Standards? Specifically, how does the project, event or program address any or all of the shared foundations - inquire, include, collaborate, curate, explore and engage?
- Does the project event or program serve as a model for others in collaborative planning?
- Did the applicant state what the learning outcomes achieved were?
- Does the supporting documentation support the applicant’s assessment of the above – mentioned areas of consideration.
The project submitted should reflect a best practice that can serve as a model for others in collaborative planning. It is recommended that a portion of the cash award be used to provide opportunities for the recipients to share their project at a state association conference.
* Please note: This downloadable version is for informational purposes only. All applications must be submitted online, via the Apply Now button that will appear at the top of the page when the next award season opens in early September.
Deputy Executive Director
|2021||Amanda Hurley and Sarah Zehnder||Fayette County Public Schools
|“We are honored ‘Engaged2’ was selected as the 2021 Collaborative School Library Award winner! We are passionate about designing activities that foster student voice and choice while maintaining rigorous academic standards. Together we create experiences allowing students to think, create, share, and grow in math, communication, and problem-solving skills. No role is too small or too large for the librarian to play in collaboration. It’s being available and invested that makes collaboration powerful.”|
|2020||Jillian Ehlers, Erin Hickey and Rachel Demalderis||Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School
Forest Hills, New York
|2019||Carolyn Foote & Melinda Darrow||Westlake High School
|2018||Janine Johnson, Emily Shiller, Kim Moran, Charlsie Vanderrest, and Kelly Hall||Scotts Ridge Middle School
|2017||Mary Catherine Coleman, Sarah Beebe, Sarah Weitz,
Bev Greenberg, & Tisha Johnson
|Francis W. Parker School
|2016||Deborah Floyd, Stephanie Stargardt, & Joshua Forbes||G. W. Carver Middle School
|2015||Stephanie Meurer, Jennifer Milstead, & Erin Kelley||Sierra Middle School
|2014||Brenda Boyer, Alison Kocis-Westgate & Josh Chambers||Kutztown (Pa.) Area High School|
|2013||Jean Hellwege, Kim Ridder, Debbie Beran, & Eric Nelson||Scott Middle School
Sara Oremland, Darren McNally, Corinne Berletti, & Jessica Park
Albany (Calif.) High School
|2011||Lucy Kempton, Laurie Williams, & Marisa Fiorito||Deerfield (Ill.) High School|
|2010||Marilyn Rothberg||General Wayne Elementary
|2009||Maureen O'Neill & Dennis Jutras||Baltimore Polytechnic Institute
|2008||Ronda Hassig & Kathy Hill||Harmony Middle School
Overland Park, Kan.
|2007||Renee Zorc||Daniel J. Wright Junior High School
|2006||Melissa Bergin||Niskayuna (N.Y.) High School|
|2005||Valerie Edwards||Monona (Wis.) Grove High School|
|2004||Margaret Lincoln||Lakeview High School
Battle Creek, Mich.
|2003||Leslie Preddy||Perry Meridian Middle School
|2002||Anieta Trame||Mattoon (Ill.) Middle School|
|2001||Marilyn Rothberg||Sugartown Elementary School
|2000||Deborah Svenson||Forestwood Middle School
Flower Mound, Texas