Sponsored by AASL
Monetary Amount: $1,000 stipend
Deadline: February 1
The application is behind an AASL member wall. You must log in (upper right-hand corner of page) and be a current AASL member to access the form. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having issues accessing the application. For questions regarding your membership please contact email@example.com or call 1-800-545-2433 (option 1).
The AASL Chapter of the Year Award recognizes the AASL Chapter most active and dynamic in achieving the goals of AASL at the state and local level. AASL established this award to acknowledge the important contributions made by AASL Chapters and encourage chapters to take pride in their accomplishments. Through this recognition, AASL encourages educational growth, increased involvement at the national level and community, and legislative involvement.
Applicant must be a current AASL Chapter.
Applicant must have been affiliated and in good standing for a minimum of two years.
Applicant cannot have received this award for at least the last five years.
In order to be considered for this award, a chapter should:
- Be involved in community, education, and legislative efforts for a stronger voice for school librarians and the profession.
- Be involved in AASL Chapter Assembly Meetings activities, provide representation at scheduled virtual Chapters meetings and in person meetings, and participate in the concerns and commendations process.
- Promote School Library Month and other AASL events to chapter members.
- Have a regular communication channel for chapter activities.
- Provide a number of continuing education opportunities to meet the needs within the chapter membership and to build the school librarian professional community.
- Develop leadership through chapter governance and volunteer opportunities.
- Provide evidence about promoting ALA/AASL election participation.
- Provide evidence a Chapter meeting representative attended the AASL Virtual Membership Meeting.
* Please note: This downloadable version is for informational purposes only. All applications must be submitted online, via the Apply Now button that will appear at the top of the page when the next award season opens in early September.
Deputy Executive Director
|2023 Missouri Association of School Librarians (MASL)|
|"The Missouri Association of School Librarians would like to thank AASL for selecting MASL as the 2023 Chapter of the Year. MASL is a dynamic, ever-evolving organization that is responsive to the changing needs of school librarians. While facing wave after wave of book challenges, detrimental state legislation, and proposed rule changes at the state level to limit library funding, MASL continues to ensure school librarians are supported and represented at all levels of decision-making."|
|2022 South Carolina Association of School Librarians (SCASL)|
|"On behalf of the members of the South Carolina Association of School Librarians, I would like to thank AASL for choosing SCASL as the 2022 Chapter of the Year," said Tamara Cox, 2022-2023 SCASL President. "We work tirelessly to ensure that every child in South Carolina has access to a strong school library program with a certified school librarian at the helm. Especially during turbulent times such as these, this honor serves as affirmation that our work is valued and important."|
|2021 Maryland Association of School Librarians (MASL)|
|“Thank you for this recognition and honor,” said Donna Mignardi, MASL secretary. “The Maryland Association of School Librarians understands and appreciates the importance of involvement in our national organization. As we continue to grow as a state organization, our members and executive board are dedicated to advocating and strengthening our school libraries across the state and nationally. Our selection as AASL Chapter of the Year affirms our vision that Maryland school libraries are a positive force for our students, faculty, and school communities.”|
2020 Tennessee Association of School Librarians (TASL)
2019 Pennsylvania School Librarians Association (PSLA)
2018 Ohio Educational Library Media Association (OELMA)