AASL Opens Call for 2023-2025 AASL Standards Committee Members
IMPORTANT: Please login (upper right-hand corner) prior to starting the application. You will receive an error message as the application is behind a member-only wall.
The American Association of School Librarians (AASL), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), is seeking school librarians to serve on the AASL Standards Committee with the charge of reviewing and evaluating the supporting content and material of the National School Library Standards for Learners, School Librarians, and School Libraries.
The periodic review and evaluation of content and materials that support school librarians implementing national standards is an important activity of the association. AASL released the National School Library Standards at the 2017 AASL National Conference. At the time, content surrounding the AASL Standards frameworks was crafted to help school library professionals and stakeholders adapt to and integrate the standards with their learning communities.
While the structure and components of the AASL Standards frameworks is not under evaluation, this committee will help to ensure AASL is continuing to provide educational leaders with content that strengthens further adoption of the standards and advocacy for the role of school librarians.
Service on the 2023-2025 AASL Standards Committee is a significant commitment to be considered. The committee will officially begin meeting in August 2023 and conclude their work in October 2025.
Members will be required to:
- Attend scheduled Zoom meetings.
- Travel to attend two AASL National Conferences for data gathering and presentations. Virtual-only members will not be accepted to the Editorial Board. In-person attendance will be required.
- Collect and assess user feedback through online surveys and virtual focus groups.
- Work in online collaborative environments.
- As needed, update, write, and revise chapter content, appendices, and materials supporting the National School Library Standards to reflect the current education environment.
Attendance will be required at the following AASL conferences (time commitments are approximate):
- Committee Session (Pre-AASL23 Tampa, FL: October 18, 2023)
- 1 day: Refine survey and focus group materials
- 2025 AASL National Conference, St. Louis, MO: October 16-18, 2025
- 10 Hours: Present on updated materials
Responding individuals should demonstrate the ability to meet the following minimum requirements:
- Certified school librarian, or equivalent terminal degree
- Effective communication and writing skills
- Technical capacity and ability to work in virtual environments
- Experience working in school libraries
- Ability to fulfill the responsibilities listed above
- Current AASL member in good standing and commitment to maintain membership during appointment term
Maintaining current and practical material supporting national standards for learners, school librarians, and school libraries is an important component of the services AASL provides to its membership and the profession. By participating on the AASL Standards Committee, members are performing a service to their profession.
For the considerable time commitment and contributions to the work and to the American Association of School Librarians, the 2023-2025 committee members will receive:
- Acknowledgement in the second edition publication of the National School Library Standards
- Two copies of the printed second-edition work
- A conference registration waiver and one-night complimentary hotel stay at the 2023 AASL National Conference in Tampa, FL
- A conference registration waiver and two-nights complimentary hotel stay at the 2025 AASL National Conference in St. Louis, MO
All fees for conference travel, including airfare, additional hotel nights, and meals will be the responsibility of the committee member.
In order to be considered for appointment to the 2023-2025 AASL Standards Committee, applicants are asked to submit the following to AASL using the online application*:
- Cover letter explaining interest in participation and qualities you would bring to the AASL Standards Committee
- Current vita or resume
- 2-3 writing samples (eg. published pieces, newsletters, blog posts, district reports)
- Letter of support for your participation from your immediate supervisor.
- Optional: up to 2 letters of recommendation.
*Materials listed above need to be submitted as a single combined document using the online submission form. Any applications or materials received via email/fax/mail will not be considered.
Upload all required materials as a single PDF document by June 6, 2023.
All candidates will be notified of final appointments by June 30, 2023.