The general purpose of this section shall be in accordance with that of the American Association of School Librarians. The specific purpose of this section shall be to provide a means for discussion of and action on the problems relating to all phases of non-public school librarianship. ISS Strategic Plan 2019-2024
ISS will hold two online chats for independent school librarians headed back to school. There will be time to address the unique needs and opportunities for independent schools in their libraries including enrollment growth and how this has changed the dynamic in some libraries.
2022 - 2023 Leadership
Hannah Byrd Little
Sylvia Knight Norton
|Past ISS Section Leadership|
- Your Databases Are Next: The Digital Redlining Movement and How Your Databases Might Not Work the Way You Think
Learn how to protect your electronic materials, to initiate conversations with vendors and consortia, to combat legislation in your state, and how to reframe how you present databases to students and faculty.
- Summer Reading Book Recommendations
Panelists share their book recommendations for prekindergarten through grade 12.
- Summer Reading Implementation
Panelists from lower school through high school share their summer reading activities, from book circles to book challenges to postcard reviews and beyond.
- Copyright & Creativity
Voted one of AASL's Best Digital Tool for Teaching & Learning 2021, Copyright & Creativity offers a full suite of FREE K-12 resources for teaching copyright and fair use. During this webinar, attendees learn how to teach their students about these topics to encourage creativity.
- The "What If?" Scenario: What Your Library Needs to Run Without You
- Particularly relevant during a pandemic, this session, originally presented at ALA Annual in 2018, presents the documents, systems, and fail safes every librarian needs to have in place for someone else to step in and do their job to keep the library running. Whether you are a new librarian planning good systems or an experienced librarian thinking about succession planning as you approach retirement, every participant should come away with a host of ideas as well as templates and shared resources to guide their work.
- Read and Reflect on "This Book is Anti-Racist" by Tiffany Jewell
Do you want to read "This Book is Anti-Racist" by Tiffany Jewell with your class or staff? Are you looking for more books and ideas to keep the robust conversation going? Neha Thakkar shares resources to use in your book club around anti-racist texts and discussion.
- Programs Aplenty: Virtual Edition!
Anna Brannin provides activity ideas and relevant resources to stay connected with students and ideas for virtual or passive programming.
- Managing Library Teams in Complex Times
Sarah Davis and Reba Gordon explore practical ways to set goals and priorities, and manage library teams to best provide essential services during this new hyflex learning environment
- A Conversation on Self-Care
Where are balance and rejuvenation in 2020 and beyond? Listen as Independent Schools Section Chair-Elect Jenna Nemec-Loise and her colleague Terri Webb, LCSW, for a timely dialogue about personal wellness.
School Library Programs Create Lifelong Learners
Developed by the Independent School Section, this brochure is a guide to help students and parents evaluate independent school libraries.