About the Travel Rotation
- AASL Chapters are visited in a six-year cycle
- Four to five by the AASL President
- Five to six visits split between AASL President-Elect and AASL Immediate Past President
- Visits can be a conference, institute, or other program with a large group of AASL Chapter members
- The schedule follows the ALA governance year which is July 1 through June 30. A visit scheduled for 2021-2022 would take place between July 1, 2021, and June 30, 2022.
Note: AASL leadership may accept invitations to other AASL Chapter-reimbursed conferences and events as their schedule permits. However, AASL Chapter visits in the rotation have precedence.
Preparing for a Visit
AASL staff will contact the scheduled states approximately one year prior to the year of the visit.
As a partner to AASL, AASL Chapters:
- Confirm with AASL when a final date and location has been set for the event
- Cover hotel accommodations for the presidential representative
- Waive registration fees
- Waive fees associated with any social event the AASL Chapter would like the presidential representative to attend
- Provide space and opportunity for attendees to gather more information about AASL (e.g. materials table near registration, exhibit hall space, etc.)
- Incorporate the presidential representative into an opportunity to address the attendees as a whole (e.g. general session welcoming remarks, reception, etc.).
- Collaborate with the presidential representative to provide an informative AASL presentation during the event.
Note: It is at the discretion of the presidential representative if he or she would like to offer an additional educational session in their area of expertise.
As a partner to AASL Chapters, AASL covers:
- Transportation, which can include airfare, mileage, baggage fees, tolls, etc.
- Per diem reimbursement for daily meals
- Ground transportation to/from the airport if the AASL Chapter is unable to provide transportation.
- Shipping and handling for any materials.
Please see AASL Policy H-5: State Leadership Visits for full details regarding travel to states.
|Year||President||President-Elect or Immediate
District of Columbia
Italics indicate a visit was rescheduled.
Only those organizations in good standing as an AASL Chapter will be visited by the AASL President, President-Elect, or Immediate Past President during the assigned year. Visits to states without an AASL Chapter may be made by the AASL Executive Director as outreach.