Membership: The Committee shall consist of a chair, eight members, a consultant, and an administrative assistant if the Chair requests. The Chair and four members will be appointed by the Vice President/ President-Elect of YALSA. The remaining four members will be elected by the membership of YALSA.
- Current membership in YALSA
- Experience in evaluating library materials, such as relevant course work, on the job materials evaluation experience, writing reviews and/or relevant articles, previous selection committee experience, etc.
- Ability to attend both ALA's Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference during your term of appointment on the committee.
- Ability to dedicate a significant amount of time to seeking out and reading relevant titles.
- No conflicts of interest in accordance with YALSA’s Award & Selection Committee Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Good time management and organizational skills
- High ethical standards
- Previous service on a YALSA committee/jury/taskforce is preferred.
For information on the responsibilities of committee/jury/taskforce members, visit
Term of Office: One 15-month term.
Function: The award will honor the best nonfiction book published for young adults (ages 12-18) during a November 1 – October 31 publishing year. The award's shortlist will be announced in early December, with the winner announced at ALA's Midwinter Meeting's Youth Media Awards press conference. A list of the committee's official nominations will also be published in January.
Procedures: See the policies and procedures.
History: The YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction Award was first given in 2010.