Fabulous Films for Young Adults Committee Description
Date of Establishment: 1977
Membership: 9, including Chair, plus an administrative assistant, if requested by the chair, and an editor from the Audio-Visual Section of Booklist to serve as consultant.
- Current membership in YALSA
- Experience in evaluating library materials, such as relevant course work, on the job materials evaluation experience, writing reviews and/or relevant articles, previous selection committee experience, etc.
- Ability to attend both ALA's Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference during your term of appointment on the committee.
- Ability to dedicate a significant amount of time to seeking out and watching relevant titles.
- Experience selecting and evaluating films for a young adult audience.
- No conflicts of interest in accordance with YALSA’s Award & Selection Committee Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Good time management and organizational skills
- High ethical standards
- Previous service on a YALSA committee/jury/taskforce is preferred.
For information on the responsibilities of committee/jury/taskforce members, visit YALSA's Handbook.
Term of Office: 2 years, commencing February 1 and ending Jan. 31 two years later.
Function: To annually select films especially significant to young adults from those currently available for purchase; to annually prepare one annotated list based on a chosen theme of at least ten and no more than twenty-five recommended titles.
Procedures: See Fabulous Films for Young Adults Policies & Procedures
History: The Selected DVD's and Videos for Young Adults Policies and Procedures Task Force presented revised policies and procedures to the YALSA Board at the 1996 Annual Conference. The Board approved the revised policies and procedures on July 6, 1996. The word "films" was deleted from the name of the committee by Board action at the 1998 Annual Conference, and the committee charge was amended. The committee name was changed to include "DVDs" and the charge was changed to include this medium by Board Action at Annual 2000. The committee's charge, policies and procedures, and name were approved by Board Action at Annual 2007 to change starting in 2008. The title was changed to Fabulous Films for Young Adults in 2007.
Updated Oct. 2011.