Audio Books and Media Exploration
Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults Committee
Membership: 9, including Chair
- Current membership in YALSA
- Experience in evaluating library materials, such as relevant course work, on the job materials evaluation experience, writing reviews and/or relevant articles, previous selection committee experience, etc.
- Ability to attend both ALA's Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference during your term of appointment on the committee.
- Ability to dedicate a significant amount of time to seeking out and reading relevant titles.
- No conflicts of interest in accordance with YALSA’s Award & Selection Committee Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Good time management and organizational skills
- High ethical standards
- Previous service on a YALSA committee/jury/taskforce is preferred.
For information on the responsibilities of committee/jury/taskforce members, visit YALSA's Handbook.
Term of Office: 2 years, commencing February 1 and ending Jan. 31 two years later.
Function: To promote the use of audiobooks among the young adult population; and to annually prepare an annotated list of 25 to 30 recommended audiobook titles selected from the two previous years that represent the wide scope of interests and concerns of listeners aged 12-18.
History: The committee was originally established in 1957 as the Book Selection Committee (when YASD was established). In 1966 the Best Books for Young Adults Committee was made a separate committee. In 1973 the Selection of Books and Other Materials was combined, by Board Action, with YASD Audio-Visual subcommittee of the ALA Audio-Visual Committee. The name Media Selection and Usage Committee was then given to the new, expanded committee. The committee agreed to administer the Econo-Clad Award for a Young Adult Reading or Literature Program at Midwinter, 1995. At the committee's request, the Board removed the Econo-Clad Award from their charge at the 1997 Annual Conference. In 2005, the name was changed from Audiobooks and Media Exploration to Selected Audiobooks. In 2008, the name was changed from Selected Audiobooks to Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults.
Recipients of the Econo-Clad Award:
1996 - no winner
1997 - Susan R. Farber
1998 - No winner
See the Econo-Clad Award Committee for the list of winners prior to 1996.
Updated Oct. 2011