Audio Books and Media Exploration
Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults Committee
Membership: 9, including Chair
- Current personal membership in YALSA
- Experience in evaluating library materials, such as relevant course work, on the job materials evaluation experience, publishing reviews and/or relevant articles in respected publications, previous selection committee experience, etc.
- Ability to work year-round in a virtual environment with tools including, Google Drive, Skype, webinar plat
- Ability to dedicate a significant amount of time to seeking out and reading relevant titles.
- Ability to comply with YALSA policies, including the Conflict of Interest, Ethical Behavior & Social Media policies, which are found in YALSA's Handbook
- Good time management and organizational skills
- High ethical standards
- Previous service on a YALSA committee/jury/taskforce is preferred.
For information on the responsibilities of committee/jury/taskforce members, visit YALSA's Handbook.
Term of Office: 1 year, beginning Feb. 1 and ending Jan. 31 of the following year. There is a possibility for reappointment for one additional year provided that the member's committee participation has been satisfactory and that he/she has submitted a volunteer form. 1 year, commencing February 1 and ending Jan. 31 one year later. Committee members, including administrative assistants and chairs, are appointed by YALSA's President-Elect and serve a term of one year. Committee members may be selected to serve a concurrent, second one-year term based on the member's first year performance and his/her interest and availability in serving another year, for a total of a two-year maximum concurrent term length on the committee, provided that the member has submitted a volunteer form.
Function: To promote the use of audiobooks among the young adult population; and to annually prepare an annotated list of 25 to 30 recommended audiobook titles selected from the two previous years that represent the wide scope of interests and concerns of listeners aged 12-18.
History: The committee was originally established in 1957 as the Book Selection Committee (when YASD was established). In 1966 the Best Books for Young Adults Committee was made a separate committee. In 1973 the Selection of Books and Other Materials was combined, by Board Action, with YASD Audio-Visual subcommittee of the ALA Audio-Visual Committee. The name Media Selection and Usage Committee was then given to the new, expanded committee. The committee agreed to administer the Econo-Clad Award for a Young Adult Reading or Literature Program at Midwinter, 1995. At the committee's request, the Board removed the Econo-Clad Award from their charge at the 1997 Annual Conference. In 2005, the name was changed from Audiobooks and Media Exploration to Selected Audiobooks. In 2008, the name was changed from Selected Audiobooks to Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults.
Recipients of the Econo-Clad Award:
1996 - no winner
1997 - Susan R. Farber
1998 - No winner
See the Econo-Clad Award Committee for the list of winners prior to 1996.
Updated Oct. 2011