- 2:00 PM-3:00 PM (Eastern)
- 1:00 PM-2:00 PM (Central)
- 12:00 PM-1:00 PM (Mountain)
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM (Pacific)
Creating an inclusive space for teenagers doesn’t have to be difficult, but it starts with staff. Throughout the session we’ll explore how you can create a library culture that fosters civic engagement and participation from your target demographic. We’ll discuss how you can identify key community partners and collaborate with them on important library initiatives.
- Know how to create a library culture that fosters engagement from underserved populations (teen, special needs, at-risk, etc.).
- Cultivate trust and respect from your teenage population.
- Know how to determine what gaps exist in your service area and identify ideal community partners.
- Be ready to embrace the fear of failing and use those experiences to improve library services.
Who Should Attend
- Public and school library staff working with teens
- Library administrators
- Library and information school students and faculty
- Youth development researchers
Ryan Moniz is the Community Librarian for Markham Public Library in the beautiful city of Markham, Ontario. For over 10 years, Ryan has worked with children, youth and young adults including those with special needs, First Nations, and at-risk in a variety of settings. He was recently awarded the Community Partnership Award on behalf of Community Living York South for his work supporting individuals with autism in Markham. Since a young age he has devoted his time to enriching the lives of others, regardless of their situation, and worked to provide equal opportunities for success. Fun fact: Ryan shaved off his right eyebrow in grade 8 while trying to give himself a haircut. Never again.
YALSA Members: Free
Non-Members: Available for purchase on the Webinars On Demand page 24 hours after the live recording.
YALSA members may register for this webinar on the Members Only Webinar Registration page (Login required.)
How to Register
YALSA members may register for this webinar on the Members Only Webinar Registration page (Login required.) Non-members may purchase the webinar on the Webinars On Demand page 24 hours after the live recording.
The webinar will be hosted using the Zoom platform. Zoom allows participants to join the session using a webcam and computer or phone for audio, via their app for Andrioid and iOS devices, and via phone only. To learn how to get started with Zoom and MAC and PC systems requirements visit the software's Getting Started web pages. After registering for the session you'll receive full login information.