The Member Editor of the Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults (JRLYA) is appointed by the president of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), with guidance from YALSA’s Executive Committee and the Research Journal Advisory Board. Extending for a period of one year, the appointment carries the possibility for renewal for another two years. An honorarium of $500 per issue (4 per year) plus $500 in travel support for each of two ALA conferences per year will be paid. The Member Editor reports to the Web Services Manager of YALSA and works closely with YALSA’s Research Journal Advisory Board, and is responsible overall to YALSA’s Board of Directors.
Purpose and Scope of the Journal
- To serve as a vehicle for disseminating research of interest to librarians, library workers and academics who focus on library service to young adults, ages 12 through 18.
- To provide researchers with a respected, peer-reviewed vehicle for publishing research of interest to professionals who focus on library services to young adults.
- To serve as the official research publication of the association, including but not limited to publishing annotated lists of recent research from YALSA’s Research Committee, Henne Award–winning research and papers from YALSA’s biennial Young Adult Literature Symposium and Past President’s Lecture.
- The scope of the journal includes all aspects of library services to young adults at every level and for all types of libraries.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Must have the technical capacity to work in a fully electronic environment; knowledge of HTML, web accessibility standards, platforms such as WordPress and online publications a plus
- Editing experience in publishing or journalism, with ability to quickly edit articles for content, grammar, and style and to work with writers to ensure JRLYA content meets high editorial standards. Experience with the Chicago Manual of Style particularly helpful.
- Experience in conducting and writing research, sufficient to enable the individual to solicit and select research that will result in a high-quality publication that addresses the diverse interest of the readership
- Dynamic, self-motivated individual
- Ability to delegate
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to set and meet firm deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Experience in library services to young adults
- Membership in YALSA
Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver to YALSA a final set of copy for each issue according to previously set deadlines, satisfactory to YALSA in content and form and ready for publication on the journal’s website.
- Set the scope and tone of the journal both textually and visually.
- Through their Chair, collaborate with YALSA’s Research Journal Advisory Board to develop a yearly editorial calendar, to solicit content for the journal and to facilitate the refereeing process.
- Through their Chair, collaborate with the Advisory Board to aggressively encourage the submission of high-quality content according to current issues and interests in the field and maintain and develop positive relationships with authors and potential authors.
- Complete a review of all submitted content in light of the philosophy, purpose and general style of the publication.
- Oversee the refereeing process. Peruse manuscripts and reject papers that are clearly outside of the scope of the journal. Work with Advisory Board’s Chair to send manuscripts within the scope to at least two reviewers.
- Correspond in a timely manner with all contributors regarding acceptance, rewriting, or rejection of manuscripts.
- Supervise the editing of manuscripts according to the Chicago Manual of Style (including rewriting, reorganizing, validating information in content, etc.).
- Work with YALSA’s Web Services Manager to determine schedules for publication.
- Prepare each issue for publication by planning the table of contents, writing introductory notes, preparing author biographies, identifying heads and subheads, providing tables, charts, etc.
- Secure copyright as necessary for articles and images and provide them to YALSA Web Services Manager.
- Thoroughly review and edit online drafts for both first and second passes.
- Communicate regularly with YALSA’s Web Services Manager.
- Communicate with the Editor of YAttitudes, Editor-in-Chief of YALS, Member Manager of the blogs and Research Committee Chair to collaborate when appropriate.
- Attend ALA’s Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting, including any meetings of YALSA’s Research Journal Advisory Board, to solicit manuscripts and to assist YALSA with promoting the publication.
- Prepare bi-annual reports for YALSA’s Board of Directors, to be turned in one month before ALA’s Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards at all times and avoid situations that could lead to a conflict of interest.
- Answer questions and inquiries about the journal.
- Perform other relevant duties as needed.
YALSA Web Services Manager
- Communicates regularly with the Member Editor to provide support and facilitate work.
- Works with production team to maintain the template for the journal and update content for each issue.
- Works with production team and the Member Editor to develop a publication schedule and comply with it.
- Handles all financial transactions for the journal.
- Oversees all communications with YALSA’s ad rep.
- Promotes the publication through appropriate venues.
YALSA Research Advisory Board
- Work with the Member Editor to develop a yearly editorial calendar, to solicit content for the journal and to facilitate the refereeing process.
- Collaborate with the Member Editor to aggressively encourage the submission of high-quality content according to current issues and interests in the field and maintain and develop positive relationships with contributors and potential contributors.
- Referee submissions passed on by the Member Editor.
- Include the Member Editor in any meetings of the Advisory Board.
- Assist the Web Services Manager and Member Editor with promoting the journal.