Leadership is made up of multiple layers. In fact, in 2016, the Nexus Leading Across Boundaries project released the Layers of Leadership framework. The framework lays out six layers to consider in order to develop leadership skills and take on an active role as a leader in an organization - local, state, regional, national.
In this four week e-course participants will begin working on their leadership skils by delving into the first two layers in the framework - Leading Self and Leading Others. The course will combine
- Opportunities to test out the ideas covered with colleagues and community members
- Small group activities to support participant engagement and gaining of leadership skills.
Those participating in the course will need to spend approximately 3 hours per week on course activities and assignments. Participants will also be required to connect with community members as a part of weekly activities and a final project.
Weekly topics include:
- Week 1: Expanding personal leadership abilities
- Week 2: What is leadership & how to be a leader even when you aren't an administrator
- Weeks 3 & 4: Collaboration with colleagues, creativity in leadership, highlighting the work of others as a leader
Learn more in this video interview with the course instructor, Josie Watanabe
Participants in the course will:
- Identify ways to improve collaborative leadership opportunities internally and externally.
- Create 2-3 goals for working on facilitating and leading others through a community leadership project.
- Begin to identify the group participation challenges and create practical solutions to cultivate different perspectives and balance power within projects and the workplace.
Who Should Attend
- Library school students
- Library staff in school or public libraries
- Library administrators
- Youth development workers supporting teens
Josie Watanabe is a program manager, learning leader, coach and curriculum developer at the Seattle Public Library. She create learning opportunities using best practices for adult learners. Josie also plans large scale workshops and events as chair of the Seattle Tutoring Coalition.
How to Register
Register via the ALA online registration platform.
The course will be hosted on Canvas and will use Zoom for optional asynchronous sessions.
A certificate of participation will be available for those who complete the final course project.
Linda W. Braun, YALSA CE Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org