Leadership is made up of multiple layers. In fact, in 2016, the Nexus Leading Across Boundaries project released the Layers of Leadership framework. The framework lays out six layers to consider in order to develop leadership skills and take on an active role as a leader in an organization - local, state, regional, national.
In this four week e-course participants will begin working on their leadership skils by delving into the first two layers in the framework - Leading Self and Leading Others. The course will combine
- Opportunities to test out the ideas covered with colleagues and community members
- Optional synchronous discussion sessions
- Small group activities to support participant engagement and gaining of leadership skills.
Those participating in the course will need to spend approximately 3 hours per week on course activities and assignments.
The course final project will focus on participants developing their own frameworks and plans for engaging with colleagues so to continue developing and using leadership skills.
YALSA is asking those interested in participating in the training, based on a pilot course in the summer of 2017, to submit a short application. Those that apply will be contacted with more details about the course and full registration information.
Participants in the course will:
- Increase their ability to work within an organization in a leadership capacity, regardless of job type or level of responsibility
- Develop skills to successfully present themselves as a leader
- Expand their knowledge in working with others to bring ideas forward as a leader
- Increase their ability to motivate others
Who Should Attend
- Library school students
- Library staff in school or public libraries
- Library administrators
- Youth development workers supporting teens
How to Register
If you are interested in participating in this leadership ecourse please fill out a short informational form. Once you have filled out the form, Linda W. Braun YALSA's CE Consultant will contact you about participation and registration.
The course will be hosted on Moodle and will use Zoom for optional asynchronous sessions.
CEUs will be available for the course. More information will be available in January 2018.
Linda W. Braun, YALSA CE Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org