Beyond Booklists: Serving Today's Diverse Teens
This course is currently being offered as part of this year's course schedule. Please note: for groups who have 20 or more individuals interested in taking the course, we can also offer it exclusively to your organization!
In this YALSA online course, find out how to go Beyond Booklists to serve today's teens, the most diverse generation ever. Participants will learn about available tools to help them identify the diverse teen populations in their service area and explore ways to design, implement and evaluate more in-depth services and programs for the diverse teen population and recent teen immigrants. Participants will also gain skills in addressing issues such as language barriers, cultural differences, and institutional support.
- Gain knowledge to assess the ethnic/racial make-up of the community a library serves.
- Understand what makes up culture and discover how cultural competence is an essential teen developmental need/asset.
- Discover access points that remove barriers libraries may create to ethnically/racially/linguistically diverse teens and their families plus examine the idea of community asset mapping as a means to develop successful outreach and library programming/services for ethnically/racially/linguistically diverse teens.
- Examine the image society promotes of teens in ethnic/racial/linguistic minority groups, explore how commercial marketing to teens can help us understand how to better reach our target user group plus examine how a logic model can assist in measuring the success of library programming/services to ethnically/racially/linguistically diverse teens
Who Should Attend
- Teen Services librarians
- School librarians
- Public librarians
- Education professionals who work directly with teens in a culturally diverse setting
Jennifer Velásquez is the Teen Services Coordinator of the San Antonio Public Library. She has worked exclusively with teens in the public library setting for more than 15 years.
- $155 YALSA members
- $195 ALA Members
- $215 nonmembers
Organization-Exclusive Course Offering: (20 or more registrants)
Note: With an organization-exclusive offering, all registrants, regardless of membership status, will receive the YALSA member rate. As CEUs are optional, if your organization would like its registrants to receive CEUs, an additional fee of $20 per person will be added to the individual's registration fee.
Organization-Exclusive Course Offering without CEUs - $155 per person
Organization-Exclusive Course Offering with CEUs - $175 per person
How to Register
Individual registration is available by filling out this online form. Check, money order, purchase order or credit card must accompany registration to reserve space in this course. Fax registrations are accepted for credit card and purchase orders only.
For inquiries about how employees at your organization can participate in an offering exclusive to your group, please contact email@example.com or 1-800-545-2433, ext. 4390.
This e-course is hosted through Moodle.
A CEU application has been filed with ALA's HRDR office. CEU credit status will be posted here when that information becomes available. This four-week course may be eligible for 1 CEU credit.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-545-2433, ext. 4390.