In this YALSA online course, find out how to go Beyond Booklists to serve today's teens, the most diverse generation ever. Participants will learn about available tools to help them identify the diverse teen populations in their service area and explore ways to design, implement and evaluate more in-depth services and programs for the diverse teen population and recent teen immigrants. Participants will also gain skills in addressing issues such as language barriers, cultural differences, and institutional support.
- Gain knowledge to assess the ethnic/racial make-up of the community a library serves.
- Understand what makes up culture and discover how cultural competence is an essential teen developmental need/asset.
- Discover access points that remove barriers libraries may create to ethnically/racially/linguistically diverse teens and their families plus examine the idea of community asset mapping as a means to develop successful outreach and library programming/services for ethnically/racially/linguistically diverse teens.
- Examine the image society promotes of teens in ethnic/racial/linguistic minority groups, explore how commercial marketing to teens can help us understand how to better reach our target user group plus examine how a logic model can assist in measuring the success of library programming/services to ethnically/racially/linguistically diverse teens
Who Should Attend
Young adult librarians, school librarians, administrators, and any education professional who works directly with teens in a culturally diverse setting.
Participation is this course will require approximately 2.5 hours (asynchronous) per week to:
- Read the online course material
- Post to online discussion boards
- Complete online exercises
Jennifer Velásquez is the Teen Services Coordinator of the San Antonio Public Library. She has worked exclusively with teens in the public library setting for more than 15 years.
Date(s) & Time(s)
This course is not currently scheduled to be offered, but is available to be licensed for presentation to your library by contacting Eve Gaus at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-545-2433 ext. 5293.
- $155 YALSA members
- $195 ALA members
- $215 nonmembers
Registration is not currently available.