AIMing at Tweens
Tweens are often the ones who slip between the cracks: not children and not quite young adults. This YALSA online course will focus on the developmental needs and interests of tweens and how we can best meet those needs and interests in terms of books, activities, and programming.
- Describe the developmental needs of the tween including physical, intellectual, moral, and social aspects;
- Discuss how librarians can meets the developmental needs of tweens;
- Identify books and related materials that are developmentally appropriate for tweens;
- Develop resources for use with tweens; and
- Share ideas for working effectively with tweens.
Who Should Attend
Young adult librarians, school librarians, administrators and any literacy-focused professional who works directly with tweens.
Participation is this course will require approximately 2.5 hours (asynchronous) per week to:
- Read the online course material
- Post to online discussion boards
- Complete online exercises
Teri Lesesne was a middle school English teacher before she began teaching in the Department of Library Science at Sam Houston State University in Texas. She teaches grad classes in children’s and YA literature.
Date(s) & Time(s)
- Login instructions will be sent to registrants on three business days prior to the start date of the course
- Course content will become available to registrants at 12:00 p.m. on the start date of the course
For organizations requesting an organization-exclusive offering of the course, an application for CEU credits may be filed upon request.
- $155 YALSA members
- $195 ALA members
- $215 nonmembers
This course is currently available only as an organization-exclusive offering. For inquiries about how employees at your organization can participate in an offering exclusive to your group, please contact Program Officer, Continuing Education Nicole Gibby-Munguia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-312-280-5293.
Registrations are accepted via online registration system, paper registration form, mail, or fax. Check, money order, purchase order or credit card must accompany registration to reserve space in this course.Fax registrations are accepted for credit card and purchase orders only.