Sample Job Description
Return to YALSA's Recruitment homepage
POSITION TITLE: Young Adult Services Librarian
JOB DESCRIPTION: Full-time vacancy available for an energetic, team-oriented Youth Services Librarian with a strong public service commitment. Provide library service and programming to young adults and those who work with young adults, and is to assist patrons in finding materials for recreation and information. Constant contact and collaboration with young adults (typically ages 12-18) with diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Provides direct assistance to patrons with basic information regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services.
- Oversees collection development and collection maintenance.
- Maintains and cultivates contact with parents and other family members, the public, schools, teachers, other libraries, town employees, state and regional library associations, and other professional organizations.
- Coordinates daily activities of staff and volunteers assigned to young adults.
- Initiates, plans, and conducts a variety of programs and activities to encourage the use of the library by young adults between the ages of 12 and 18, including but not limited to films and special events, reading clubs, and school and community outreach.
- Takes a leadership role in developing effective and productive youth service teams.
- Attends professional library conferences, seminars, and network committees; reads professional literature; attends and participates in staff meeting discussions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program required.
- One year of professional experience in a library setting, with supervisory and administrative experience required.
- Experience with young adults (ages 12 to 18) given preference.
- Knowledge of recreational and educational needs of young adults.
- Ability to translate young adult needs and interests into effective library services and programs.
- Knowledge of current trends in library services for young adults and young adult literature and other materials for youth.
- Knowledge of standard library procedures, current information technology, Internet and database search capabilities.
- Communicate with others, orally and in writing; correspond often through email.
- Must be able to lift and carry bags of books or boxes weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Must be able to speak distinctly to large groups.
- Must be able to drive a car and hold a valid driver’s licence.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
- Must possess physical mobility involving bending, lifting, reading, hearing.