The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), has selected 10 adult books that will appeal to teen readers to receive the 2007 Alex Awards. The awards, sponsored by the Margaret Alexander Edwards Trust and Booklist, were announced at the 2007 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Seattle, January 19-24, and will appear with full annotations in the March 1 issue of Booklist magazine.
The 2007 Alex Awards are:
- Connolly, John. The Book of Lost Things. $23.00. Simon & Schuster/Atria.(0743298853).
- Doig, Ivan. The Whistling Season. $25.00. Harcourt. (0151012377).
- D'Orso, Michael. Eagle Blue: A Team, A Tribe, and A High School Basketball Season in Arctic Alaska. $23.95. Bloomsbury. (1582346232).
- Gruen, Sara. Water for Elephants. $23.95. Algonquin. (1565124995).
- Joern, Pamela Carter. Floor of the Sky. $16.95. University of Nebraska.(0803276311).
- Hamamura, John. Color of the Sea. $24.95. Thomas Dunne. (0312340737).
- Lewis, Michael. The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game. $24.95. Norton. (0393061239).
- Mitchell, David. Black Swan Green. $23.95. Random House.(1400063795).
- Rash, Ron. The World Made Straight. $24.00. Henry Holt. (0805078665).
- Setterfield, Diane. The Thirteenth Tale. $26.00. Simon & Schuster/Atria.
The Alex Awards were created to recognize that many teens enjoy and often prefer books written for adults, and to assist librarians in recommending adult books that appeal to teens. The award is named in honor of the late Margaret Alexander Edwards, fondly called “Alex” by her closest friends, a young adult specialist at the Enoch Pratt Free Library in Baltimore. She used adult books extensively with young adults to broaden their experience and enrich their understanding of themselves and their world.
In addition to selecting titles for the Alex Awards, the Alex Committee presents a program at the ALA Annual Conference. The 2007 program will take place in Washington, D.C., Saturday, June 24, from 4 to 5:30 p.m. and will highlight how to booktalk the Alex winners to young adults.
The 2007 Alex Awards Committee is: Chair Terry Beck, Sno-Isle Libraries, Wash.; Angela Carstensen, Convent of the Sacred Heart, New York, N.Y; Priscille M. Dando, Robert E. Lee High School, Fairfax County, Va.; Jennifer Jung Gallant, Elyria Public Library, Ohio; Betsy Levine, San Francisco Public Library, Calif.; Charli M. Osborne, Oxford Public Library, Mich.; Victor Schill, Harris County Public Library, Tex.; John Sexton, Ashland Branch Library, Ore.; Karlan Sick, New York, N.Y.; and Gillian Engberg, Booklist, Chicago. Administrative Assistant: Judy Sasges, Sno-Isle Libraries, Wash.