Alex Awards 2011
- The Boy Who Couldn’t Sleep and Never Had To by DC Pierson, published by Vintage Books, a division of Random House, Inc., New York (ISBN 9780307474612)
- Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray, published by Hyperion (ISBN 9780786868919)
- Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok, published by Riverhead Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. (ISBN 9781594487569)
- The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni, published by Amy Einhorn Books, an imprint of G.P. Putnam’s Sons, a division of the Penguin Group (ISBN 9780399156090)
- The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton, published by Thomas Dunne Books for Minotaur Books, an imprint of St. Martin’s Press (ISBN 9780312380427)
- The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake: A Novel by Aimee Bender, published by Doubleday, a division of Random House, Inc., New York (ISBN 9780385501125)
- The Radleys by Matt Haig, published by Free Press, a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc. (ISBN 9781439194010)
- The Reapers Are the Angels: A Novel by Alden Bell, published by Holt Paperbacks, a division of Henry Holt and Company, LLC (ISBN 9780805092431)
- Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue, published by Little, Brown and Company a division of Hatchette Book Group, Inc. (ISBN 9780316098335)
- The Vanishing of Katharina Linden: A Novel by Helen Grant, published by Delacorte Press, an imprint of The Random House Publishing Group, division of Random House, Inc., New York (ISBN 9780385344173)
“This year’s list runs the gamut of mystery, suspense, magical realism, adventure and memoir,” said Beth Gallaway, chair of the 2011 Alex Awards Committee. “Our selections are accessible to a wide range of ages, and feature a mute, a zombie slayer, a family of vampires, a Chinese American immigrant, a homeschooler, and an insomniac – truly, there is something for everyone.”
See an official, vetted list of nominated titles for 2011.
Members of the 2011 Alex Awards Committee are: Chair Beth Gallaway, Haverhill (Mass.) Public Library; Lana Adlawan, Sacramento Public Library, Elk Grove, Calif.; Hope Baugh, Carmel Clay (Ind.) Public Library; Meghan Cirrito, Queens Borough Public Library, Jamaica, N.Y.; Crystal Faris, Kansas City (Mo.) Public Library; Karen Keys, Queens Borough Public Library, Jamaica, N.Y.; Ann Perrigo, Allegan (Mich.) District Library; Jessi Snow, Boston Public Library; Ellen Wathen, Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati, Ohio; Scott Rader, administrative assistant, Hays (Kan.) Public Library; and Ian Chipman, Booklist consultant, Chicago.