Young Adult Library Services is the official publication of the Young Adult Library Services Association, a division of the American Library Association. Young Adult Library Services is a vehicle for continuing education of library staff working for and with young adults (ages 12–18) that showcases current and emerging practices relating to teen services and spotlights significant activities and programs of the association.
- YALSA is interested in submissions related to key issues and trends as outlined in its report, The Future of Library Services for and with Teens: a Call to Action.
- Submissions aimed at front line library staff that showcase current and emerging practices relevant to serving teens through libraries are appropriate
- To submit research for publication, please see YALSA's other periodical, the Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults.
Manuscript Submission and Publication
Submit manuscripts that are neither under consideration nor accepted elsewhere. Send copies of the manuscript to the email addresses below. The editor will acknowledge receipt of all manuscripts. Accepted manuscripts with timely content will have scheduling priority.
- For details on style, please contact the editor, Crystle Martin.
- Use the note-style references as described in the 15th edition of the Chicago Manual of Style section 16.
- Submit manuscripts up to 5 pages, double-spaced (including references, tables, notes, and bibliographies) via e-mail attachment.
- Submit manuscript in Microsoft Word format to the editor. Use a minimal amount of formatting in files. Do not use right-justified margins, tabs, indents, or centering. Insert two hard returns between paragraphs.
- Place tables on separate pages and include captions. Notations should appear in text for proper table and figure placement. Supply charts and graphs as computer files.
- Artwork submitted electronically must be a minimum of 300 dots-per-inch (dpi) or higher to be published. Web-resolution images (72 dpi) or images embedded into the Microsoft Word file will not be accepted as they are not sufficient quality for press-printed material. If you are submitting screen captures, please contact the editor for instructions on creating print-quality images.
- Include a cover sheet indicating the title of the article and the full name, title, affiliation, phone number, e-mail address, and complete mailing address of the first author.
Writing and Bibliographic Style
Young Adult Library Services follows the sixteenth edition of the Chicago Manual of Style and Random House Webster’s College Dictionary. Authors are responsible for accuracy in the manuscript, including all names and citations.The editor may revise accepted manuscripts for clarity, accuracy, and readability, consistent with publication style and journal audience.
Copyright and Rights of Publication
A manuscript published in the journal is subject to copyright by ALA for Young Adult Library Services.
In granting rights of publication to this journal, the author(s) guarantees that the manuscript has not been published or accepted for publication elsewhere.
Individuals who publish an item in YALS are eligible for the YALSA Writing Award, which honors the best writing in YALSA’s blogs and journals. Prizes will be given for a winning article in each of the journals and blogs. As of 2011 they are: Young Adult Library Services, the Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults, the YALSAblog, and The Hub: YALSA’s Teen Collections Blog.
Send correspondence to: Anna Lam, YALSA, 50 E. Huron St., Chicago, IL 60611; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 312.280.5849.