It may have taken Phileas Fogg 80 days in the late 1800s to travel around the world in Jules Verne’s "Around the World in 80 Days", but you can do it in 60 minutes! Pick up your passport and join tour guide Pam Spencer Holley as you travel together via booktalk from Afghanistan to Iraq, Kenya, England, and places in between.
- List of book recommendations from non-American authors
- Summaries of books to recommend to patrons
Who Should Attend
- Public librarians
- School librarians
- Library volunteers
- Other individuals interested in book recommendations
Pamela Spencer Holley
YALSA members: Free through YALSA e-Learning Library (YeLL)
Non-Members: $19 for individual webinar purchase
$49 for a set of any three on-demand webinars
$99 for a group registration (ten logins) for this webinar
How to Register
Registration is available using our registration form.
- Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2; Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise; or Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (32-bit edition, or 64-bit edition with 32-bit browser)
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows 7; 2GHz Intel Pentium 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows Vista®
- Mozilla Firefox 2.x or 3.x (first choice); Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8; or Google Chrome (last choice, as it occasionally interferes with speaker microphones)
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 or later
- 500MHz PowerPC® G3 or faster or 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
- Mac OS X v10.4–10.6 (Intel); Mac OS X v10.4 (PowerPC)
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- Mozilla Firefox 2.x or 3x; Safari 2.x; or Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1
- Apple devices: iOS 3 or 4, created for Apple iPhone; compatible with Apple iPad and iPod Touch (3G or 4G connection recommended)
- Android™ devices: Android 2.2; Adobe AIR® for Android; compatible with HTC Nexus One and Motorola Droid (3G or 4G connection recommended)
Adobe Connect runs off a Flash platform. Meeting participants need to set their computer settings to allow plug-ins.
Audio for Connect meetings is provided using VOIP. Meeting participants need to have a computer headset with microphone. Microphones and speakers that are built into computers are usable, but if they are used then other webinar participants in Connect will actually be able to hear people speaking through the computer's speakers as well as through the microphone of the person speaking, which creates an echo or makes the sound quality fuzzy. Here are some better options to explore:
- YALSA staff use this for webinars: http://tinyurl.com/34vueqz
- If you have a head set you use with your phone, this may work, but you’ll want to test it out prior to any official webinar to be sure.
Test Your Connection
Conduct a test to ensure your computer is set up with the appropriate tools to participate in YALSA’s webinar. To do this, click on the Test Meeting Connection URL located here: http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
If you have never participated in a webinar before, you can watch an overview of a webinar.
Please contact Nicole Gibby Munguia, Program Officer for Continuing Education at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.280.5293 with any questions.