VRT events at ALA Annual Conference
Chicago, IL, July 9-15, 2009
For more other meetings at ALA Annual of interence to media librarians,
visit the VRT Guide to Annual Conference 2009
Program: Celebrating Ten Years of the Notable Videos
Date & Time: Saturday, July 11, 2009, 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm
Location: McCormick Place West W-194b
Come celebrate the ten year anniversary of the Notable Videos for Adults Awards. Each year, these awards recognize fifteen of the best documentary, educational, performance or how-to videos. Librarians across the country have relied on these awards since 1999 to build strong video collections. Former chairs of the committee and video distributors will speak on the history and significance of these awards and clips from selected videos will be shown.
* Rebecca Albitz, Electronic Resources & Copyright Librarian, Pennsylvania State University (panelist)
* Nora Dimmock, Librarian, University of Rochester (video)
* Meghann R. Matwichuk, Senior Assistant Librarian, University of Delaware (moderator)
* Dylan Maddox McGinty, Institutional Sales Officer, National Film Board of Canada (panelist)
* Meredith Miller, Icarus Films (panelist)
* Vicki Nesting, Assistant Director, St. Charles Parish Library (panelist)
Date & Time: Sunday July 12, 2009, 6:30-9:30 p.m.
Location: Gene Siskel Film Center, 164 N. State Street, Chicago
Cost: $25 for VRT members and students; $30 for non-members.
Registration:Tickets on sale via your ALA 2009 Annual Conference registration or by directly contacting Mary Konkel, VRT Gala Chair at email@example.com or 630-942-2662 or fill the form at the bottom of the Gala flyer. NOTE: Seating is limited to 200 attendee
The VRT will host a gala at the Gene Siskel Film Center featuring directors from the AMERICAN MASTERS series. This award-winning PBS series is a celebration of creativity in America, examining the lives, works, and creative processes of our most outstanding cultural artists. Directors Nancy Porter and Laurie Block will provide insight into the art of filmmaking as biography and share recently produced film on Louisa May Alcott and a work-in-progress on Helen Keller.
- Nancy Porter, producer/director and Harriet Reisen, producer/writer of AMERICAN MASTERS Louisa May Alcott: The Woman behind Little Women and Laurie Block, director/co-writer of AMERICAN MASTERS Becoming Helen Keller, a co-production with WETA Washington, D.C.
For more information about this event, please view the flyer for 2009 VRT Gala
Please visit the booths of the generous sponsors of the VRT Gala:
Other VRT Meetings
Best Practices for Fair Use and Video Working Group
Date & Time: Saturday, July 11, 2009, 8:00 am - 10:00 am
Location: McCormick Place West W-186b
For more information please visit the working group page on the VRT wiki.
Membership and Executive Committee Meeting
- Date & Time: Monday, July 13, 2009, 8:00 am - 11:00 am (Executive Committee); 11:00 am - 12:00 pm (Committee Meetings)
Location: Palmer House Salon II
Meeting Agenda for ALA Annual 2009
Notable Videos For Adults
- Date & Time: Monday, June 13, 2009, 1:30 pm - 05:30 pm
Location: Palmer House Logan Room
Please join us for the Video Round Table dinner at ALA Annual in Chicago on Friday, July 10 at 7:30pm.
Date & Time: Friday, July 10, 2009, 7:30pm
Location: G iordano's Pizzeria
Address: 730 Rush Street, Chicago, IL
If you'd like to attend this dinner, please RSVP by email to Johan Oberg by July 7th.
VRT Booth and VRT 101 Presentations
VRT Booth - Please come and visit the VRT booth in the ALA Membership Pavilion [Booth #3034]. Both Saturday and Sunday, VRT members will be present to answer questions about VRT. (If you're VRT member who'd like to staff the booth, please visit Schedule for VRT Booth at 2009 Annual.)
VRT 101 - This brief presentation will cover the various professional development opportunities that VRT offers at ALA conferences and will outline the numerous projects that VRT and its committees are now engaged in. We will also give a few pointers about how to get involved this small but mighty group.
If you're new to VRT or just curious about the organization, come by one of our VRT 101 presentations, which will be taking place at the Membership Pavilion:
-Date & Time: Sunday, July 12, 9:30-10
Please direct questions/comments to firstname.lastname@example.org