Video Round Table Notable Videos 2004
Video Round Table
2004 Notable Videos for Adults
The ALA Video Round Table Notable Videos Committee has compiled its 2004 list of Notable Videos for Adults. The selections were made during the American Library Association’s Midwinter Meeting in
The annual list recognizes non-feature titles that expand viewer knowledge on new or difficult topics, contribute to the resolution of contemporary problems, expand the boundaries of visual media, and artistic and technical merit. Titles are nominated by librarians nationwide and screened and discussed by eight committee members representing academic, and public libraries. The purpose of the “Notable Videos” list is to call attention to outstanding programs produced during the last two years.
The winning titles are:
- Ballad of
Bering Strait. Cinema Guild. 99 min. 2003.
- Bowling for Columbine. MGM Home Entertainment. 119 min. 2003.
- Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin.
Newsreel. 83 min. 2002. California
- Children Underground. New Video Group, 104 min. 2002.
- Justice for My People: The Dr. Hector P. Garcia Story. KEDT-TV. 90 min. 2002.
- Little Sister’s vs. Big Brother. National Film Board of
. 47 min. 2002. Canada
- Maggie Growls. Women Make Movies. 56 min. 2002.
- Murder of Emmett Till. PBS. 60 min. 2003.
- Murder on a Sunday Morning. Direct Cinema (ppr); Docurama (home use). 111 min. 2003.
- Pale Male. NYC Audubon Society. 54 min. 2003.
- Promises. Transit Media. 106 min. 2003.
- Radical Harmonies. Woman Vision. 88 min. 2002.
- Smith Family. SmallTown Productions. 79 min. 2002.
- Strange Fruit.
Newsreel. 58 min. 2002. California
- Two Towns of Jasper. PBS. 83 min. 2003.
The annotated list will appear in the March 15, issue of Booklist.