The Library's Budget
The Maryland State Department of Education, Division of Library Development and Services has purchased access to this course for your Trustees and library director through May 2015. This course is presented via pre-recorded webcast. You may watch and listen at your convenience. You will need a computer with speakers or you may use headphone or a headset plugged into your computer. Please check the volume on your audio output and be sure it is not currently muted.
About This Course
This course covers learning and understanding how your library is funded, understanding how spending decisions are made and who is authorized to make them, understanding the library’s financial reports, making powerful budget presentations, and developing auxiliary funding sources. This course is led by Christine Lind Hage, 2014-2015 United for Libraries president, Public Library Association (PLA) past president, and director of the Rochester Hills Public Library in the greater Detroit area.
To enhance your learning experience we have provided a quiz and links to additional resources. Please also take time to complete the survey to give us your feedback on this course as well as ideas for future courses.
- Webcast - This webcast is 30 minutes. When prompted, please enter your personal email address, first and last name, library name, and state as verification that you viewed the webcast. This information will be used to verify your request for a certificate of completion (see below) and for reports to the state library. TIP: If you leave the webcast and wish to finish later, make note of the number/title of the slide you last viewed. When you return, double-click on that slide number/title in the left hand column (when viewing the webcast) and you can skip ahead to that point.
- Handouts - print a copy of the PowerPoint slides to use when taking notes.
- Quiz & Discussion Questions - This optional resource will help you review the information covered in this course.
- Additional Resources - a list of links and resources referenced in this webcast as well as links to supporting United for Libraries resources.
- Survey - Please complete this survey to share your feedback about this course as well as ideas for future courses.
A certificate of completion is available for this course. Certificates are created and emailed on Fridays. Simply complete the online form with your contact information. Check the box to certify you have completed this course. Be sure to spell your name and the name of your library correctly as the information to complete your certificate will be pulled directly from the form. Your certificate will be e-mailed to you in a PDF format for you to print
Accessing Other Trustee Academy Courses
You also have access to the other courses in the series. Use the links in the left hand navigation or return to the Maryland Trustee Academy landing page and then follow the links to access the courses. You do not need to logout.
If you are experiencing any difficulty or have questions, please contact Beth Nawalinski at email@example.com or (800) 545-2433, ext. 2161.