The Trustee Academy is a series of online courses to help Trustees become exceptionally proficient in their roles on behalf of their libraries. All of the online courses are taught by a professional in the field. Courses include:
- Trustee Competencies covers the knowledge, skills, abilities, and attributes of a successful public library Trustee. The course is led by Kevin Tomlinson, area field consultant with the Idaho Commission for Libraries.
- Working Effectively with the Library Director covers the role of the Board, the role of the library director, and how to communicate effectively with each other. Learn about strategic planning, board meetings, an emergency communication plan, and how to create a sustainable and effective working relationship. This course is led by Deirdre Brennan, Executive Director, of Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS).
- The Library's Budget for Trustees covers understanding where funding comes from, working with the director to develop the budget, ensuring the budget is in alignment with goals, making the case for the budget to funders, making effective budget presentations, and monitoring the budget at monthly meetings. This course is led by Marcellus Turner, City Librarian, The Seattle Public Library.
- Standing Up for Intellectual Freedom covers intellectual freedom, the core value of librarianship, the difference between a challenge and a ban, library policy and the process of reconsideration, the purpose of the Office for Intellectual Freedom and the Freedom to Read Foundation, and resources and services offered by the Office for Intellectual Freedom. This course is led by James (Jamie) LaRue, Director of the American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom.
- Everyday Advocacy – Why the Library Matters! covers getting to know your funders and letting them know what the library is doing and importantly – why it matters. Learn how to be a powerful voice at budget time to ensure your library receives the funding it needs. This course is led by Libby Post, Strategist-in-Chief and President of Communication Services.
Experience the Trustee Academy
- Access Trustee Academy courses (requires login provided via e-mail after registration).
- Register for Trustee Academy courses. Courses will be available to you for six months following your registration. Registration is open and ongoing.
- If you are trying to access the Trustee Academy through a joint-partnership with your state library, please select the appropriate state link to proceed: Arkansas, IHLS, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, RAILS, South Carolina, Texas, or Utah.
- Kansas libraries, please see the important update about your statewide group membership benefits.
If you have any questions about the courses or registration please call the United for Libraries office at (800) 545-2433, ext. 2161 between 9:30 and 5:00 EST or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. E-mails are also monitored evenings and weekends to ensure a quick response.