ALA Trustee Citation
The ALA Trustee Citation, established in 1941 to recognize public library trustees for distinguished service to library development, symbolizes and honors the best contributions and efforts of the estimated 60,000 American citizens who serve on library boards. It is presented during the Opening General Session at the ALA Annual Conference. Recipients are expected to be present to accept the award, and expenses for attending must be borne by the recipients or their library organizations. Trustee service may have been performed on the local, state, regional or national level, or at a combination of levels. Equal consideration is given to Trustees of libraries or fall sizes. Citations may not be awarded when there is no sufficiently outstanding achievement brought to the attention of the Awards Committee.
Requirements for nomination include:
- Actual Trustee service at least part of the calendar year preceding the Annual Conference at which award is made.
- Comprehensive statement of the nominee’s achievements.
- Nomination(s) by any individual library Trustee, librarian, library board, state library agency, state library association, state Trustee association, Public Library Association, or United for Libraries. Include signature(s) of nominator(s) and endorsing organizations and individuals. Current United for Libraries board members are not eligible to be nominated.
- Statement of support no longer than five double-spaced pages. Describe, in chronological order, the nominee’s library-related activities. The listing should include, but not be limited to, library-related activities such as board and/or library association service, with offices held, titles, and awards, with dates.
- Personal membership in ALA and the Trustee Section of United for Libraries at the time of application and at the time of the award presentation if chosen.
Applications must be received by Jan. 15, 2015.
- 2014 - Argiro Morgan
- 2013 - G. Victor Johnson and Beverly Mull
- 2012 - Richard J. Ryan and Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch
- 2011 - Dave Hargett and Rose Mosley
- 2010 - Robert O. Bonam and Margaret J. "Peggy" Danhof
- 2009 - Shirley Bruursema and David Goldsmith
- 2008 - Dr. Barbara Prentice and Donald W. Green
- 2007 - Jane Rowland and Patricia O'H. Norman
- 2005 - Jim Connor and Robert B. Lyons
- 2004 - Alma Dennis
- 2003 - Charles Rozier and Bill Murphy
- 2002 - Glenna Gillespie Kramer and Mary Lou Dewey
- 2001 - Ruth Newell and Virginia McCurdy
- 2000 - Jean Thibodeaux Kreamer
- 1999 - Rebecca Shroeder and Otissey Denton
- 1998 - Wayne Coco and Jack Cole