The ALA Trustee Citation, established in 1941 to recognize public library Trustees for distinguished service to library development, symbolizes and honors the best contributions and efforts of the estimated 60,000 American citizens who serve on library boards. It is presented during the Opening General Session at the ALA Annual Conference. Recipients are expected to be present to accept the award, and expenses for attending must be borne by the recipients or their library organizations. Trustee service may have been performed on the local, state, regional or national level, or at a combination of levels. Equal consideration is given to Trustees of libraries of all sizes. Citations may not be awarded when there is no sufficiently outstanding achievement brought to the attention of the Awards Committee. Past recipients of the ALA Trustee Citation are not eligible.
Recipients of the Trustee Citation will be honored at the ALA Annual Conference (Chicago, IL) in June 2020.
Requirements for nomination include:
Brief statement of the nominee’s achievements.
Nomination(s) by any individual library Trustee, librarian, library board, state library agency, state library association, state Trustee association, or United for Libraries. Include names of nominator(s) and endorsing organizations and individuals. Current United for Libraries board members are not eligible to be nominated. Past recipients of the ALA Trustee Citation are not eligible to be nominated.
Personal membership in ALA and United for Libraries at the time of the award presentation (June 2020) if chosen.
Applications must be received by January 10, 2020.
- 2019 - Alfred E. Martin
- 2018 - Penny Weller and Craig Wilson
- 2017 - Mark Miller
- 2016 - Kathy Parker
- 2015 - Roy B. Martin, IV
- 2014 - Argiro Morgan
- 2013 - G. Victor Johnson and Beverly Mull
- 2012 - Richard J. Ryan and Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch
- 2011 - Dave Hargett and Rose Mosley
- 2010 - Robert O. Bonam and Margaret J. "Peggy" Danhof
- 2009 - Shirley Bruursema and David Goldsmith
- 2008 - Dr. Barbara Prentice and Donald W. Green
- 2007 - Jane Rowland and Patricia O'H. Norman
- 2005 - Jim Connor and Robert B. Lyons
- 2004 - Alma Dennis
- 2003 - Charles Rozier and Bill Murphy
- 2002 - Glenna Gillespie Kramer and Mary Lou Dewey
- 2001 - Ruth Newell and Virginia McCurdy
- 2000 - Jean Thibodeaux Kreamer
- 1999 - Rebecca Shroeder and Otissey Denton
- 1998 - Wayne Coco and Jack Cole