Major Benefactor Citation
Giving public recognition to an individual, family, or corporate body that has made a major gift to your library can generate other gifts as well. The Major Benefactor Citation comes with a plaque for the library and a plaque for the donor. These plaques, along with a library celebration and a press release from your library, can let your community know that gifts to the library are truly appreciated and make a real difference. Major Benefactor Citation recipients will be featured on United for Libraries’ website, and a press release about each winner will be issued through ALA. Please allow six weeks from the time of application for receipt of both plaques.
Apply for the Major Benefactor Citation (PDF, 206 kb)
Applications for the Major Benefactor Citation may be submitted at any time.
- Benefits to the library in the form of money, real or personal property, negotiable paper or other tangible contributions.
- Endorsement by the Board of Trustees of the library involved.
- A fee of $500 ($450 for United for Libraries members) to cover all administrative costs and materials, along with a completed application.
- 2014 - Kendrick B. Melrose
- 2014 - Gordon and LaVerne Taylor
- 2011 - Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) Foundation
- 2010 - Ouida Bedingfield
- 2007 - Friends of the San Francisco Public Library
- 2006 - Sharon Karmazin
- 2005 - Hemlock Federal Bank, James T. Smith, the Simon Family
- 2004 - Bank of Southside Virginia and the Clements family (John Clements and J. Peter Clements)
- 2003 - RR Donnelley, Simmesport State Bank
- 2002 - Ann Johnson, Adele Whitenack Davis
- 2000 - Dr. Arthur B. Richter
- 1999 - Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation, Marv and June Patmos
- 1998 - Hunizenga Family Foundation
- 1997 - Olive I. and Anthony A. Borgatti, Jr.