Virtual Library Legislative Day
Virtual Library Legislative Day allows library advocates to contact Congress from home
Virtual Library Legislative Day is part of the American Library Association’s (ALA) National Library Legislative Day, held each spring in Washington, D.C. This year, National Library Legislative Day will be May 7-8, 2013. Virtual Library Legislative Day activities will be held throughout the week of May 6-10, 2013, and will be an opportunity for all library advocates to make their voices heard on a national level. Library advocates who cannot make it to Capitol Hill for the event can be a part of the effort by calling and/or emailing their elected officials on May 8, or any time the week of May 6-10. Visit this web page in late-April for talking points to include when writing or calling your legislators.
National Library Legislative Day began in 1976. In 2003, Friends of Libraries U.S.A. began a virtual component to engage Friends of the Library groups, library advocates and supporters around the country who could not travel to Washington, D.C. for the main event. Now in its 11th consecutive year, the virtual campaign continues to support the efforts of those who attend this important day in Washington, D.C. and meet with their elected officials in person.
NEW from YALSA - Tweet Your Senator; Tweet Your Representative
The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association, offers you a way to advocate for teen library services with just two clicks of a mouse: the Tweet Your U.S. Senator and U.S. Representative maps, developed by YALSA’s Legislative Committee.
To use the maps:
- Log into Twitter, then visit the map the U.S. Senator map at http://tinyurl.com/NLLDmap and the U.S. Representative Map at http://tinyurl.com/NLLDreps.
- Find your state. Then click on the marker for your senator/representatives and click the Tweet Me! Link that pops up under their name.
The following message will automatically generate, tweeted to your senator: "Pls fund LSTA @ $184.7m & Innovative Aprchs 2 Literacy @ $28.6m 4 FY14. Libraries boost teen learning http://ow.ly/kxvqM #NLLD."
Virtual Library Legislative Day Resources
- Visit ALA's Legislative Action Center
- Download the 2013 Virtual Library Legislative Day flyer (pdf)
- Download the 2013 Virtual Library Legislative Day bookmarks (pdf)
- View a video tutorial on advocating for libraries online
- RSVP to Virtual Library Legislative Day on Facebook