Donate Books to Support Libraries
If you have books to donate, first contact your local public library. Some libraries have donation guidelines posted on their website, others you will need to contact by phone. Your local library can provide acceptable donation guidelines.
If your library is not currently accepting donations and you are willing to pay shipping, we invite you to donate to our non-profit organization. In partnership with United for Libraries, Better World Books is accepting pre-paid book donation shipments from the general public. Saleable donations will be made available for sale on more than 17 online marketplaces. Proceeds from the sale benefit United for Libraries. Non-saleable items will be made available to a nonprofit literacy partner or recycled in an environmentally responsible manner.
Remember, not all books have a resale value on the internet; therefore, we encourage you to follow our guidelines below.
Easy to Sell (please ship):
- Antiquarian, rare, and collectable books
- Dictionaries and thesauruses
- DVDs and books on CD (must be operable include original artwork and casing)
- Ex-library copies (do not remove treatments)
- Gently used children's books (especially Newbery winners)
- Hardcover fiction and nonfiction
- Mass market paperbacks (must be in like new condition; copyright 1980 or newer)
- Textbooks (copyright 1998 or newer)
- Trade paperbacks
- Travel books (copyright 2003 or newer)
Difficult to Sell (please do not ship):
Condition matters - please do not ship books in the following condition:
- Water damaged
- Damaged binding or pages
- Missing covers or pages
- Excessive writing, markings, or highlighting
- Cut out library treatments
- Softcover books warped
The following books and materials do not sell - please do not ship:
- Academic journals or literary criticisms
- Activity books (coloring, crossword, etc.)
- Books published by magazines
- Case law and procedural law books
- Custom course packets
- Directories or telephone books
- Encyclopedia Britannica, World Book, or incomplete sets
- LP records, VHS, cassettes, or CDs
- Open software sets
- Periodicals or magazines (i.e. National Geographic, TV Guide)
- Tax documents or government documents
- The following series:
- Book club editions
- Harlequin romance novels
- The Modern Library series
- Reader's Digest Condensed
- Marquis Who's Who
Please send your donations, postage paid to:
BETTER WORLD BOOKS
55740 Currant Road
Mishawaka, IN 46545
Donations sent COD will be refused. Remember to mark your boxes "ALTAFF"
If you wish to donate more than 1,000 books, more than 25 copies of a single title, or just have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in supporting United for Libraries. Your donation helps us to help libraries across the country and we thank you. If you require a letter acknowledging your donation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and include your contact information as well as a description of the donation you shipped.