To develop and submit programs to the PLA National Conference Committee that will specifically address the issues and concerns of library Trustees, Friends and Foundations; to implement such programs upon PLA approval and acceptance of these submittals. These committee members serve a two-year term.
- Meet remotely beginning in the fall following the last PLA spring conference.
- Develop a minimum of one program for Trustees and/or Friends. Seek and obtain permission of speakers for any and all program proposals.
- Submit proposal to PLA conference program committee by deadline.
- Ensure that speakers are kept up-to-date on proposed program.
- Following program acceptance, work with staff to promote the program.
- Ensure that on-site program location is set up according to request with proper equipment available at least 45 minutes prior to program.
2016-2018 Committee Members
United for Libraries members may access the roster of United for Libraries committee members (PDF, 516 kb) with contact information.
Marcellus Turner, Chair
Nann Blaine Hilyard
The PLA Program Committee meets in person during the ALA Midwinter Meeting. Conference calls may be scheduled by the chair as needed.
(800) 545-2433, ext. 2161
Email: The email address to use for contacting committee members is email@example.com. Only committee members and staff liaisons can post messages to the electronic discussion group.
Conference Calls: At the request of the committee chair, one or more conference calls can be scheduled with the assistance of United for Libraries staff.
ALA Connect: Each committee has a virtual "space" in ALA Connect where committee members can post messages and share documents among committee members. This option should only be utilized if all committee members agree to using ALA Connect as their primary means of communication.
The chair will complete a report for each meeting and submit to the staff liaison, to include a sign-in sheet.
Tools & Resources
Basics of Parliamentary Procedures (PDF, 11 kb)
For more information, please read "A Short History of United for Libraries" (PDF, 51 kb) by past-president Peggy Danhof.
Committee/Task Force Report Form (PDF, 32 kb)
Committee Meeting Attendance Form (PDF, 80 kb)
PLA Conference Program Success Strategies & Timeline for more information (PDF, 84 kb) by Sally Gardner Reed
NEW: United for Libraries Resources
We've compiled a handy Excel file of the top resources available FREE and for members only. Please note this is a working compilation and resources may be added at any time. Also, it's not possible to list all of the wonderful links and resources we have on our site, so if you are looking for something and can't find it on this list, email Beth (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jillian (email@example.com) and we'll let you know if we have the resource and if so, where to find it.
- United for Libraries Resources (Excel, 12.94 kb) Updated 5/22/17