Election Candidate: Jeffrey W. Smith

Jeffrey W. Smith  Jeffrey W. Smith

Division Councilor

Current Position:

Division Councilor, United for Libraries, Baltimore County Public Library, Towson, MD

Previous Positions:

Foundation At-Large Board Member, United for Libraries (2013 to 2015)
Committee Chairperson, United for Libraries Legislation, Advocacy and Intellectual Freedom Committee (2014 to Present)
United for Libraries Representative, ALA Legislation Assembly (2013 to Present)

Degrees and Certificates:

University of Maryland, College Park - Bachelor of Arts in History (1995)

Offices held in the ALA/APA, state/regional library associations, and other associations (include DATES):

Division Councilor, United for Libraries (2015 to Present); Foundation At-Large Board Member, United for Libraries (2013 to 2015); Committee Chairperson, United for Libraries Legislation, Advocacy and Intellectual Freedom Committee (2014 to Present); United for Libraries Representative, ALA Legislation Assembly (2013 to Present); Member, ALA Advocacy Committee - Advocacy Training Sub-Committee (2009 to 2011); Member, Baltimore County Board of Library Trustees (2008 to 2014); Treasurer, Baltimore County Board of Library Trustees (2009 to 2011); President, Foundation for Baltimore County Public Library (2010 to Present); Treasurer, Foundation for Baltimore County Public Library (2006 to 2010); Chairperson, Maryland Recreation and Parks Association, Legislative Committee (2006 to Present)

Honors and Awards (library and non-library, including DATES):

Maryland Library Association, Outstanding Volunteer Award (2013); Maryland Recreation and Parks Association, Member of the Year Award (2008); Inductee, Omicron Delta Kappa Leadership Honor Society (2007); Governor's Citation, State of Maryland (1990)

Major Accomplishments:

Throughout my decade of service in support of libraries, I have been actively engaged in promoting the value of our libraries to the public. I have also been directly involved in varied legislative efforts at the state, local, and federal level to help garner additional financial support for our libraries. Moreover, my work as a volunteer in support of libraries has led to significant improvements in my local library system, the Baltimore County Public Library in Maryland. During my tenure as a member of the Board of Library Trustees, our system was able to complete four new branch libraries, as well as the completion of improvements to a host of other locations. Lastly, my work with the Foundation for the Baltimore County Public Library has lead to the development of a dedicated endowment to help fund innovative additions to our library system. I hope that my continued service as an active member of the American Library Association will allow me to, in some small measure, promote the further advancement of libraries.

Publications:

Co-Author, History of Perry Hall Mansion, Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, South Carolina (2012)

Statement of Professional Concerns:

Given the dynamic change of pace facing libraries today, it is vital at this point in time to accurately and effectively communicate the importance of the library to the public at-large. To that end, as an ALA Division Councilor, I would remain committed to ensuring that our association is actively publicizing the vital role that all libraries of all types play in society today. The continuation of strong advocacy and support of all libraries must remain a top priority for the American Library Association, and all those involved with the organization.

Member of ALA since: