Year-long Public Innovation training opportunity
Registration is now closed for participating in a Harwood Institute Public Innovators Lab plus a year of coaching and webinar support, designed specifically for libraries.
The kick-off for the year will be the Harwood Public Innovators Lab, a three-day immersion in the Harwood practice. Following the workshop, library teams will receive one year of scheduled coaching support by a Harwood certified coach and six webinars that will support and reinforce the learning from the Lab. The Harwood Public Innovators Lab is a highly focused three-day learning experience that grounds participants in turning outward. Turning outward is an effort that can be learned, and results in authentically engaging communities in real and lasting change.
What will I learn?
Participants will learn how to:
- Achieve community impact and accelerate strategic organizational change through Community Conversations.
- Authentically engage with the community to deeply understand them and make more informed choices.
- Leverage their resources in a way that creates impact on a specific issue while building the conditions for change.
- Reorient themselves toward the public and create new opportunities for community impact
- Align mission, resources, and strategies to the community’s capacity so that efforts at community changes will have a greater chance of succeeding.
Who should register?
Librarians and key library stakeholders in libraries of all types—public, academic, school, special. Teams from libraries are encouraged, with a discount for additional participants.
When and where does it take place?
Download the agenda (PDF).
The kickoff three-day Public Innovator’s training workshop is Monday-Wednesday, October 28-30, 2013:
- Monday, October 28: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 29: 9:00am - 5:30pm
- Wednesday, October 30: 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
District of Columbia Public Library Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library
901 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001
The three-day training is followed by monthly calls with a Harwood Institute certified coach and six live learning webinars over a one-year period.
We recommend that you reserve a hotel room for the training week as soon as possible. Harwood and ALA have not contracted with any hotels so you are free to select the hotel of your choice.
Below is a brief list of hotels that are located within .5 miles of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library. They are listed in order of distance from closest to furthest. Hotels may be reserved through any booking website of your choice.
- Courtyard Washington Convention Center, 900 F St NW
- Hotel Monaco Washington DC, 700 F St NW
- Washington Marriott at Metro Center, 775 12th St NW
- Four Points by Sheraton Washington DC, 1201 K St NW
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, 500 H Street NW
- The Henley Park Hotel, 926 Massachusetts Ave NW
- The Eldon Luxury Suites, 933 L St NW
- Morrison Clark Hotel, 1015 L St NW
- Hilton Garden Inn, 815 14th St NW
- J.W. Marriott Washington DC, 1331 Pennsylvania Ave NW
- Willard Intercontinental Washington, 1401 Pennsylvania Ave NW
- Crowne Plaza Hamilton, 1001 14th St NW
- W Washington DC, 515 15th St NW
What does it cost?
$2,500/first person from a single organization
$1,500/each additional person from that organization
Cost includes breakfast and beverages during the three-day Public Innovator’s Lab; cost excludes travel, lodging and meals other than breakfast, and any telecommunications costs to call in to coaching and webinars, if applicable.
How do I register?
Registration is now closed. Thank you for your interest.
Email email@example.com or call 312-280-5045 or 800-545-2433 x5045