The Public Library Funding & Technology Access Study is a rich resource of data released to computer and Internet access in U.S. public libraries - including available Internet services, support for employment and e-government services, percent of libraries that are the only community provider of free public computer and Internet access, barriers to improved technology access and technology expenditures.
In addition to gathering and analyzing this data from urban, suburban and rural libraries nationwide, the study research team is committed to disseminating findings to raise public awareness and influence public policy around sustaining and improving public library funding and technology access.
Provided here are resources and examples of data use that hopefully will make it easier for local libraries and library supporters to use study findings in a variety of advocacy contexts. Additional resources are linked here and available directly from the Information Policy & Access Center, which is a research partner and manages the study's annual survey of public libraries.
If you have examples of how you've used the data, we'd love to hear from you! Research staff also are available to answer questions and help customize the data to meet your individual needs. Please contact Judy Hoffman at email@example.com for more information.
Media Materials and Templates
- Sample press release - Strategic technology partner: our public library
- Sample press release - Libraries crucial link for jobs, state services
- Sample op-ed - America's public libraries: strategic partners in technology
- Sample op-ed - Today's public libraries: digital hub with "killer apps"
- 2011-2012 Study Press Kit
- 2012 Media Mentions
Issues Briefs and State Data
Examples of Study Data Use
South Dakota State Library: South Dakota Public Libraries Data Digest 2011 (PDF)
New Mexico State Library brochure: New Mexico Public Libraries: 2010 (PDF)
Georgia Public Library Service Newsletter: Georgians' public library use remains strong in 2010 (February 2011)
- Tennessee Legislative Day 2010 Flyer - Tennessee Public Libraries: A Critical Resource for Job Seekers (PDF)
- Job-Seeking in New Jersey Libraries (2010, PDF)
- ALA Broadband Filings
- Congressional Testimony - The National Broadband Plan and Promoting Broadband Adoption (May 2010)
- New York State Library: Impact Report on Opportunity Online Hardware Grant (PDF)