The American West no longer offers one story, but many. The record of the interactions between the very different peoples who produced today’s West offers us a more honest creation myth, a story truly shared.
- Legacy of Conquest: The Unbroken Past of the American West by Patricia Limerick
- Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
- Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie
- Last Refuge: The Environmental Showdown in the American West by Jim Robbins
- On Gold Mountain: The 100-Year Odyssey of a Chinese-American Family by Lisa See
The humanities scholar’s essay was written by Patricia Nelson Limerick and Hannah Nordhaus, Center of the American West, University of Colorado, Boulder.
Download the scholar’s essay, annotated book list, and supplementary texts (PDF). Please note: The American Library Association is the copyright owner of this essay and annotations. The credit lines embedded in the program materials and/or sponsor and funder logos must remain on all published (print and web) materials derived from these materials.
How-To Discussion Programming Guides
Developed to aid participants in “The Millennium Project for Public Libraries,” this how-to guide (PDF) provides basic information about developing and promoting book discussion programs.
When planning a “Let’s Talk About It” program, you may wish to consult the planner’s manual (PDF) for general how-to information about program format, selecting a scholar, promoting your series, evaluation, and more.