Theme 1: American Dreams
Sample Icebreakers and Opening Exercises
- As a little kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? Why? If you changed your mind, why? And what do you want to be now?
- Think of someone who embodies what you think of as the American Dream. Who is it, how does he or she embody it, how did you come to know about this person, and what is the dream?
(NOTE: The following images are copyrighted. Obtaining image permission is the responsibility of the library.)
- George Washington (The Lansdowne Portrait), Gilbert Stuart
- Tar Beach, Faith Ringgold
- Retroactive I, Robert Rauschenberg
- Hip Hop Project, Nikki S. Lee
- Obama Hope Portrait, Shepherd Fairey
For discussion tools and activities for the above images, as well as others in the Engage! series, download the Engage! Picturing America through Civic Engagement Guide.