( Connecting Libraries, Underserved teens and Books)
About the GSC
The Great Stories Club (GSC) is a reading and discussion program that targets underserved, troubled teen populations. The program reaches teens through books that are relevant to their lives, inviting them to read and keep the books, and encourages them to consider and discuss each title with a group of their peers. It seeks to show that reading can be a source of pleasure, a tool for self-exploration, and a meaningful way to connect to the wider world. Its ultimate goal is to inspire young adults who face difficult situations to take control of their lives by embracing the power of reading. A project of the ALA Public Programs Office and YALSA, the Great Stories Club is funded by a grant from Oprah’s Angel Network.
Applications for the Great Stories Club on the theme “Second Chances” (Round IV) were accepted through November 14, 2010. Programs will run in 150 participating libraries from February 1 through September 30, 2011. You can view a list of the Round IV recipients here.
For Project Directors
- "Second Chances" reading list and book reviews
- Guidelines, application instructions, and FAQs
- Programming tips and resources
- Online application and final report (requires login, due September 30, 2011)
- About the GSC electronic list (managing your subscription)
Please visit ProgrammingLibrarian.org for reading lists and other support materials from prior rounds of the Great Stories Club.
Questions about the Great Stories Club may be directed to Lainie Castle at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-280-5055.
This page brought to you by the American Library Association’s Public Programs Office.
- ALA awards 150 Great Stories CLUB grants (1/7/09)
- ALA awards 265 Great Stories CLUB grants (1/12/09)
- Apply by Nov. 2 to receive a Great Stories CLUB reading and discussion program grant (9/1/09)
- ALA announces theme and titles for new round of Great Stories CLUB (8/10/09)
- ALA awards 237 Great Stories CLUB grants (1/6/09)
- New round of Great Stories CLUB grants now available (9/10/08)
- ALA awards 173 libraries Great Stories CLUB grants (3/18/08)
- Application, theme and titles announced for Great Stories CLUB grant (12/4/07)
- ALA receives $300,000 from Oprah’s Angel Network for continuation and expansion of Great Stories CLUB (11/6/07)
- 181 libraries selected to host Great Stories CLUB book discussion program for troubled teens (5/1/06)
- ALA announces applications for the Great Stories CLUB, supported by a grant from Oprah's Angel Network (2/6/06)