IT Security Practices
Question: My library is looking to develop an IT security policy. Does ALA have a policy in place that we could review?
Answer: ALA does not have a policy for you to review, however I can point you to some resources that may help you in creating an IT policy for your library.
- A list of resources and tools that was created as a companion website for the book Technology Made Simple
- Balas, Janet L. 2005. "Close the Gate, Lock the Windows, Bolt the Doors: Securing Library Computers." Computers in Libraries 25, no. 3: 28-30.
- Dixon, Pam. 2008. "Ethical Issues Implicit in Library Authentication and Access Management: Risks and Best Practices." Journal of Library Administration 47, no. 3/4: 141-162.
- Jones, Thomas M., Matthew D. Taylor, David O. Stephens, and Roderick C. Wallace. 2008. "GOING GLOBAL." Information Management Journal 42, no. 3: 30-36.
- Dotson, Daniel S. 2007. "Information Security Resources: A Selected Annotated Bibliography." Science & Technology Libraries 27, no. 3: 29-51.
Finally, if your library is looking to develop a technology plan, we recommend that you take a look at Diane Mayo's Technology for Results: Developing Service-Based Plans'