We just wrapped up the ALA TechSource Workshop Creating Subject Guides for the 21st-Century Library with Buffy Hamilton. We had some fantastic discussion during this event, and because the session was so jam-packed with content, Buffy wasn’t able to answer all of the great questions participants had. Below are some questions for continued discussion. Buffy will be responding in the comments--whether you attended or not, feel free to join the conversation!
- Can you give a specific example of curation? Would Yahoo Pipes be a curation tool?
- I'm not familiar with social citation; can you explain how it works or name some services?
- How much does a subscription to LibGuides cost?
- What exactly do you mean that curation is the new buzzword? Can you define it or is it really self explanatory? Creating digital collections?
- Your Lib Guide must be mobile-device aware, as well, yes? More and more the subject guide will be accessed via a mobile device.
- Can you speak to the usability considerations? I know libguides tends to fail usability tests...
The Preliminary Readings from Today’s Event
- Getting More From Your Subject Guides by Going 2.0 http://www.mpla.us/documents/handouts/2009/morris.pdf
- Integrating Social Media as Authoritative Information into Research Pathfinders http://www.aasl.ala.org/aaslblog/?p=595
- Subject Guide 2.0: A Dream or Reality? http://jlis.glis.ntnu.edu.tw/ojs/index.php/jlis/article/viewFile/528/522
- Pathfinders, Subject Guides, & Thematic Resources http://eduscapes.com/earth/informational/path1.html
Resources from Today’s Event
- Kwout.com http://kwout.com/
- Subjects Plus (open source) http://www.subjectsplus.com/
- Library a la Carte (open source) http://alacarte.library.oregonstate.edu/
- Lib Data http://libdata.sourceforge.net/LibData (open source)
- Netvibes http://www.netvibes.com/
- Symbaloo http://www.symbaloo.com/
- Scoopit http://www.scoop.it/
- Wikispaces http://www.wikispaces.com/
- LiveBinders http://livebinders.com/
- LibGuides http://www.springshare.com/libguides/
Click Below to Download a PDF of Buffy’s Slides