Social media can be a useful tool in highlighting or promoting projects, campaigns, opportunities, and anything else your unit (staff and/or members) are working on. The Social Media team can help by posting your content on any or all of the top-level ALA branded social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Tumblr -- the full list of official ALA Social media channels appears at the top of the Connect with Us page).
You can submit your content into the workflow by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include:
- Title (useful for Facebook, Google+, and Tumblr)
- Where you’d like it posted (Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Tumblr)
- Formatted copy (no hyperlinks, please; we might edit to fit the voice of the channel )
- Facebook – one or two short sentences about your link / photo / etc.
- Twitter – 140 characters or less and be sure to include any links and hashtags you want included. (140 characters including links and tags is the maximum, but shorter is better. Tweets between 100 and 115 characters were 34% more likely to be retweeted than tweets outside of that range according to social media scientist Dan Zarella).
- Google Plus / Tumblr – a three or four sentence summary or excerpt about your link
- If you have images that go with your post, please include them
- If your content is time sensitive please let us know, including the deadline needed
- If we are sharing something over from your unit’s account, please include the link to the post we need to share
Please also be aware that content is being scheduled throughout any given day/week/month – it’s best to give the team as much lead-time as you can.
If you have any questions about how the Social Media Team works or the various tools and channels we’re working with, please don’t hesitate to ask the team.
To stay up-to-date on social media tools, news, and trends, see the Social Media Articles - Social Media Working Group e-newsletter at Scoop.it