Drupal partner, CKEditor provides the formatting toolbar for all editing fields located in our content types. Each feature on the toolbar produces clean, standards-compliant HTML code.
CKEditor 3.X is a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor which means that the text edited in it looks as similar as possible to the results end users will see after the document gets published. It brings to the Web popular editing features found in desktop word processors such as Microsoft Word and OpenOffice.org Writer.
ALA has configured the CKEditor toolbar in our Drupal installation with a set of features that support usability and accessibility best practices and will reinforce (not over-ride) the Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) that assign a pre-defined look (color, font family, font size, font weight, text decoration, etc.) to each of the distinctly themed areas of ALA.org.
Remember to adhere to the Nine Guidelines for Maintaining High Quality Webpages when formatting Webpage text.
To learn how to master each feature on the toolbar, follow the links below to access the coordinating CKEditor 3.X User Guide instructions.
- Bold, Italic, Underline, Strike-through
- Align Left
- Bulleted (Unordered) Lists
- Numbered (Ordered) Lists
- Text indentation
- Undo and Redo
- Links and E-mail Links — See Uploading files to learn more about the Browse Server button on this menu. (Accessibility Alert! Always add a description of your link in the Advisory Title field under the Advanced tab)
- Inserting Images — See Uploading image files to learn more about the Browse Server button on this menu. (Accessibility Alert! Always add a description of your image in the Alternative text field under the Image Info tab)
- Subscript and Superscript
- Block Quote
- Horizontal Line
- Paste from Word
- Removing Format
- Character Map
- Format(ting) Styles
- Creating Tables (Accessibility Alert! Always indicate Headers, Caption and Summary under Table Properties)
- Find and Replace
- Create Div Container
- Spell Check As You Type (SCAYT)
- Video Filter